cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Mathcad Prime 6.0 Symbolic Engine, based on Axiom/Fricas

mvenich
12-Amethyst

Mathcad Prime 6.0 Symbolic Engine, based on Axiom/Fricas

So Mathcad Prime 6 has a new symbolic engine.

There's no indication within the product what the symbolic engine is. However, if you poke around in the installation directory, there's a new folder called Axiom with an executable for the computer algebra system called FriCAS somwhere inside.

So I guess the new symbolic engine is based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FriCAS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_(computer_algebra_system)

[edited to include reference to FRICAS]

14 REPLIES 14

Looking at the links provided, it looks like Axiom could be a competitor rather than a supplement to Prime.

"It features 'HyperDoc', an interactive browser-like help system, and can display two and three dimensional graphics, also providing interactive features like rotation and lighting."

The displayed 3D surface plot would put Prime to shame!

can anyone test this in 6.0?

wzelik
11-Garnet
(To:skunks)

Please find below.

mp6_screen.png

ChrisKaswer
15-Moonstone
(To:wzelik)

Wow, the result looks like it's giving us is the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", ...42. It must be correct!

thanks,

and this?

clipboard_image_0.png

wzelik
11-Garnet
(To:skunks)

as below...

clipboard_image_0.png

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:wzelik)

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

clipboard_image_3.png

clipboard_image_4.png

clipboard_image_5.png

Ver.6 Bug, Ver. 5 is OK.

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
(To:ttokoro)

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

Ver.6 Bug, Ver. 5 is OK

Here is my first test of the new symbolic engine.

As you can see neither the old nor the new engine come up with the result 1/(n+1) but the result of the new engine sure is nonsense (a further evaluation yields a wrong 0, of course).

Also Wolfram Alpha is not able to come up with the result 1/(n+1) but at least points to the general harmonics.

@LucMeekes  What about Maple in MC11. Is it able to come up with the simple result?

clipboard_image_0.png

The limit of course can be seen as Riemann sum of a simple integral. The way the new engine shows the result is not promising, too 😞

clipboard_image_1.png

BTW, have you all already noticed that we can copy and paste pics directly in our posts now w/o having to save as files?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

Mathcad 11/Maple:

clipboard_image_0.png

😞

(No need to take a screenshot either, this was just a copy of 4 regions)

Luc

Thanks for trying.

Interesting that this little beast is causing the programs so much trouble.

prop_design
15-Moonstone
(To:Werner_E)

thanks for stating what the new symbolic engine is based on. i was curious about that.

@prop_design wrote:

thanks for stating what the new symbolic engine is based on. i was curious about that.

It was not me but mvenich who pointed out that the new symbolics may be based on FriCAS (a forge of Axiom). So the honor is due him.

prop_design
15-Moonstone
(To:mvenich)

thanks for determining what the new symbolic solver was based on. i was curious about this. i never thought licensing tech from a competitor made any sense.

anthony

Top Tags