cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Mathcad Prime 7.0

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Mathcad Prime 7.0

New release date for Mathcad Prime 7.0:

Pic_1.png

87 REPLIES 87
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:VladimirN)

It used to be this month...(https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/When-MathCad-Prime-6/m-p/623814#M186938)

What is PTC promising regarding changes in Prime 7 w.r.t. Prime 6?

(In other words: What are they so busy working on, and appears to be so hard that it takes more time than anticipated?)

Luc

Come on, when was the last time you've seen any roadmap presentation at PTC?

These are jokes, how can you make fun of users.
My company pays for annual subscriptions.
I'm asking for what?
All math software producers I know have an annual publishing program.
In the meantime, they issue  a lot updates if nessesery.
They stick to deadlines. They take care of the software development.
I loved Mathcad for many things.
I thought that something changed.
But it's time!.  I'm definitely finishing my adventure with Mathcad (or rather with PTC).
I would not recommend this (PTC) company to anyone.

lizew

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:wzelik)

My company pays for annual subscriptions.
I'm asking for what?

For the privilege to be able to access your own intellectual property packed in the worksheets you created.

Unfortunately, you're right - you can't seriously recommend PTC Mathcad as a tool for engineering calculations these days. PTC did not intend for this either - they just wanted to buy a calculation module for their CAD software.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

I heard a rumor that Prime 7.0 will have an option to print to toilet paper. A new archival format for your engineering calculations.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

@RichardJ wrote:

I heard a rumor that Prime 7.0 will have an option to print to toilet paper. A new archival format for your engineering calculations.

Clearly the interface team are on a roll.  Are they going to encode the perforations or emboss the paper?

I suppose the question is whether they'll be able to handle 3-ply, scented and quilted, or will it be the single-sheet, 1950's glossy paper via the sheet feeder?

Actually, it's not a bad idea.   At least the Gentleman's Reading Room will have something of interest to while away the time with ...

Stuart

tietjee
14-Alexandrite

Is this a surprise?  Hopefully they will be release the upgrade in February.

And here's what's planned:

Pic_2.png

Pic_3.png

Pic_4.png

The input controls/drop-down is many years overdue (as is a very long list of other items)...I just hope they provide a proper conversion for the countless number of Mathcad 15 sheets I have with these embedded in them...PTC, please surprise me!

The end of "real" Mathcad:

FredKohlhepp_0-1600174925603.png

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

It boggles the mind that redefinition warnings and text styles are going to take 3-7 years to implement.  They can't possibly have more than one part-time programmer working, right?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DJF)

The work 's being done using punch-cards...?

Ah yes, like the good old IBM 29 machine - I used to know those well....

image.png

Because nobody was really expecting PTC to add scripted objects.

@Konrad_A wrote:

Because nobody was really expecting PTC to add scripted objects.

I read just "input controls", not scripted components, which would be much much more. We will see what we get, but don't expect too much.

On the other hand, PTC can hardly disappoint us more than it already has done.

And as you see the plan for Prime 8, "more controls" will be made later. So Prime 7 will only have couple (to make it plural) of basic controls. Or am I being picky?

In the past "development" history of Prime we have seen, the elements promised for the next version often were not implemented and the plans for the version after that were mostly just pious wishes and went up in smoke.

My point was that I had not read anything about being able to script those new input controls.

So we'll just have to wait to see how useful and flexible these new controls will be and to be honest - I haven't had high expectations for PTC and Prime for a long time.

Some new comments on planned enhancements:

New.png

New-2.png

New-3.png

New-4.png

New-5.png

New-6.png

New-7.png

The combo-box is a rather poor substitute for web controls in as much it doesn't accept all units e.g.; 1/K and values can't be entered in scientific notation e.g. 2.31*10-⁶. It appears that the combo-box is but a text interpreter.

Raiko

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Text Styles:

Will we have keyboard shortcuts for user-defined Text Styles?

Will text retain its style and be subject to any changes made to that style?

Custom Units Systems:

Will these actually be Custom Systems of Quantities (SOQ) (*) that the user can define base quantities and units for? (eg, if I want to add quantity amount of information (symbol B) as a base quantity that I can then define units bit, byte and word for)

Will the user be able to set a default unit for any Quantity in any SOQ? (eg, if I want mph in an otherwise SI set of units, or byte for the quantity Bit)

Stuart

(*) See the VIM.  https://www.bipm.org/en/committees/jc/jcgm/publications

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@VladimirN wrote:

View Multiple Documents Side by Side

Status changed to: Under Consideration

This is functionality we do want to consider for a future release. Mathcad Prime uses a multi-tabbed browser interface so you can copy/paste between worksheets, but you're right in that currently you can't have them side by side unless you open two instances of the application. The traditional method of viewing documents side-by-side is by opening multiple documents in the application and arranging them within it. We need to determine if that is the correct way to do this or if we need to look at what more modern applications do - always open a new instance of the application every time a new or existing document is opened, and the 'arrange' button arranges those applications on the desktop. We want to determine if we should consider following that new workflow, so provide the ability on 'Open' or 'New' to do so in a new instance of the application, and then provide UI that arranges the windows on the desktop.

Something that might be pertinent to this discussion is the ability to have multiple windows open onto the same instance of a worksheet.   It is a frequent request to be able to, say, change data in one part of a worksheet and watch the effects of the change in another part of the document.  There are other reasons why this would be a useful UI capability, not least of which is that, being a single instance, changes in all windows affect the same worksheet and Save saves all these changes.

At the moment, the only way to see the same worksheet twice (or more) is to have multiple, independent instances open.  It is considerably harder to manage change in multiple instances.

Stuart 

... and, no, I don't think that a split window is a complete solution - useful, yes, but not as much as (also) having multiple windows

FWIW, I usually use two instances of Mathcad.  It allows me to, say, use one window as a scratchpad or to copy functions between worksheets.   I rarely have two views of the same worksheet open as my tiny brain can't cope with keeping track of which is the main version and which the scratchpad.

2021 11 30 c.png

Few details about the upcoming release in March:

Pic_2.png

Pic_3.png

Pic_4.png

Yeah, that's a sad joke, isn't it? Who cares, anyway.

Hi mate,

It isn't a sad joke if PTC actually deliver what they promise in prime 7. The symbolic engine is extremely useful for an engineering student like me and I'll explain why. The new ability to convert worksheets into pdf is again also useful for submitting homework. Many times university teachers ask for full workings instead of the final answer.

Why symbolic engine is useful: 

1- When analysing electrical systems, their transfer functions are in Laplace form. The symbolic engine can quickly give the inverse Laplace transform of that. Taking Laplace transforms and partials fractions are also required for similar problems. This can all be done on the symbolic engine. If you do it by hand it would take long with high chance of error. 

2- For electrical signals analysis, the Fourier series(in complex form as well) and Fourier transform are used very often. The symbolic engine once again comes to the rescue for Fourier transform. 

3- The symbolic engine is also good for checking intermediate steps for any calculus calculations. 

If ptc genuinely improves the symbolic engine that would be huge plus. However, the guys seem pessimistic about this as PTC might not have delivered their promises in the past. 

(Edit: I am not sure about the price for mathcad prime. If it is around 450 euros as stated on their website then that is unjustifiable)

Top Tags