Symbolics:

symbolics.png

PDF:

pdf.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald I
(To:VladimirN)

The referenced page is puzzling (what from PTC isn't?):

At the start it says: "Attention engineers, ...: Mathcad Prime 7 is almost here!"

And towards the end: "Download Mathcad Prime 7 Today" followed by a link to "GET MATHCAD EXPRESS FREE".

(: This brings me to a form where I can apply for....

Mathcad Prime 6.

I wonder how much time they think a reader will spend on reading that blog post from start to end.

Luc

EDIT: Oh, now I see it. this was posted Feb 27, and the expected reading time is 5 minutes.

I thought the release date was 2nd of March but still not out yet

Hi,

I totally take responsibility for this. I'm not even going to try to come up with excuses. I just blew the post. 

I fixed it now so there isn't a link to the old download page and I try to make it clearer that Mathcad 7 is not quite here yet.

Thanks for calling attention to it. Sorry for the confusion.

Best,

Cat McClintock

And the combo box (like the third party graphing app) doesn't support units!  If I use a table, and a text box to prompt a choice, even Express can do better:

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1614874814709.png

If I were going to use on of these controls, I'd want to be able to put my choices

Fred_Kohlhepp_1-1614874940149.png

inside a closed, LOCKED area so the units don't get messed up.  (Can you say, "NASA Mars flyby?")

I just found that Prime 7 is available for download...let's see what it's got in it...

Fingers crossed!

DJNewman
13-Aquamarine
(To:ChrisKaswer)

Came here to confirm that it's officially out.

VladimirN
23-Emerald II
LucMeekes
23-Emerald I

Seems to be accessible only for maintenance customers at the moment...

I have been asking (with no reply) if Express (an unlicensed Prime) would survive the release of 7.0.

Maybe this is indicative!

@Fred_Kohlhepp wrote:

I have been asking (with no reply) if Express (an unlicensed Prime) would survive the release of 7.0.

Maybe this is indicative!

I wonder what the uptake of Express is?

Of course, not being a commercial user and having to answer to Officer Commanding Household for large financial outgoings, I'd like to see a Mathcad Prime 7.0 Home User Licence, with pricing along the lines of Matlab's home licencing ...

Stuart

agreed. mathworks and maplesoft both have reasonable home use/hobby licenses. until that happens, never trying prime.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald I
(To:LucMeekes)

Found the entry in the maze of PTC website:

https://www.mathcad.com/en/try-and-buy/mathcad-express-free-download

VladimirN
23-Emerald II
(To:LucMeekes)

Great!  Luc found the link to Prime 7 Express!

So I went there.  Prime would download a full version of 7, after 30 days revert to an Express version.  Just what I wanted!

Downloaded and launched the web installer, waited ~15 minutes while files downloaded.  Then got a message that the 32 bit version choked on my 64 bit Windows 10, contact PTC user support.

. . . Oh, well. . .

Update:  Found an icon on my desktop, now have Prime 7.0 for 29 days . . .

When I installed Prime 6.0 the license for 30 days also extended to 4.0.  That did not happen this time.

Conversion of an old Mathcad sheet is attached.  Note that plots seem to have problems.

SteenGroðe
5-Regular Member
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

Seeing his name - does anyone knows what happened to Tom Gutman?

Mt. Gutman became disillusioned by Prime and  abandoned the forum.

SteenGroðe
5-Regular Member
(To:Fred_Kohlhepp)

I think that he got more disappointed by the new forum or more that the contents from the old sub forums wasn't being kept and that was why he left. But leaving is one thing - disappearing completely another.

I did email him a couple of years after he "unfriended" the forum, but got no reply.

I've always wondered how my old sparring partner from Quebec, Jean Giraud, was doing after the forum unfriended him ...  I'm sure there's a Radio Yerevan joke in there somewhere. 

Cheers, 

Stuart.

There is a Jean Giraud prominent and proficient on the Smath forum.

Sacré Bleu! c'est vrai, c'est jmG lui-même!
GrumpyOldTom
5-Regular Member
(To:StuartBruff)

So it's out, I just downloaded it & retrieved my licenses, when can I start griping?  Do I have to install it and try it out first?

Just kidding, I hope it's great, but wow, it's been a lo-o-o-ng wait and I note (was it Fred?) had an issue with units usage already, so...

But I got some emails from them the other day in which I was awarded all kinds of badges here, so I guess I'm supposed to be ecstatic or something!  And I'm thinking, I post seldom if ever, so what do the really helpful guys here have?  Gigabytes worth of badges?

But again, I'm really hopeful.  Especially since 15 is now given a firm 4 year max end-of-life!

Proud user of Mathcad since MS-DOS days.

@GrumpyOldTom wrote:

Especially since 15 is now given a firm 4 year max end-of-life!

I wasn't aware of that. I guess it was inevitable at some point. I have given up on Mathcad anyway though (hence my rather rare visits here), so perhaps it's of little consequence to me. If you get the license file sorted out before PTC kills it, you should be good to go for a few years after that, until your current PC dies or becomes obsolete. For me, that's into retirement, so Mathcad would be a luxury, not a necessity, anyway. But I'm never going to pay PTC a subscription, so I'm never going to switch to Prime. Smath is a better option than that.

It's a real shame what PTC did to Mathcad. A great piece of software with a potentially great future, and Prime 1.0 moved it backwards 20 years (I had connections in PTC at that point, and one word I used to describe it to them was "pathetic"). Unfortunately, they have had a lot of years to bring it up to speed, and IMO have failed, although I admit the last version of Prime I actually looked at was 5.0. 

RIP Mathcad ☹️

GrumpyOldTom
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Oh no, when you have an individual license file, Mathcad stops working when the paid support runs out.  So for us, that's this August.  I'll be interested in seeing what management wants to do as that is coincident with my retirement date.  So we either go for the (up to 4 year) extension contract, or we make a very hurried update of 32 years' worth of Mathcad calculations.  Functionally, to me it only makes sense to go with the 4 year extension and start a dedicated effort to get all needed calculations from 15 into Prime.

Smath is probably not an option for the company, but may be my only recourse in retirement, though they do want me to consult and part of that deal is to retain access to the software.  Other software, Maple, Mathematica??? who knows.

@GrumpyOldTom wrote:

Oh no, when you have an individual license file, Mathcad stops working when the paid support runs out. 

That depends on your license. I have a perpetual license (two of them, in fact) for Mathcad 15. As long as I use the current PC, they should work (although a recent thing seems to be that a Windows update kills the license, but I only need to point MC at the license file again to make it work). If I change PC I would need a new license file though, and if PTC will will not issue one, that is the end.

SteenGroðe
5-Regular Member

There are always ways to keep the old Mathcad running... I even has mine (v11.2SG) running with a later Maple, the Excel addin still working and Smartsketch more so so (issues with communication of parameters). Mathconnex hmm.. that just dies these days. I will have to look deeper into that matter. I have another Danish program with the same "feature" to study more in details. Axum... hmm gave up on that in WinXP as any input was doubled.

@richard: M$ has begun doing silly things, but I have not had any license file issue on my PC's. I have noticed it among students but it has been like that for at least 15 years. Never been able to pinpoint the issue though, but found workarounds.

Werner_E
24-Ruby IV

If I change PC I would need a new license file though, and if PTC will will not issue one, that is the end.

More precise - if you change your NIC. So it might be a good idea to bind the license to a virtual NIC as long as new licenses are issued. On the other hand, with most virtual NICs you can manually change the MAC to match your license.

GrumpyOldTom
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

So what's the deal with 7.0, all?  The boss took it for a spin yesterday and said it's a non-starter, he'll keep us on 15 as long as possible.  And this is a YOUNG guy.  He actually LIKES Micro$oft "Word", a strange program purporting to be a word processor, but really designed to measure user aggravation level prompted by software randomly "helping" you.  I think it's tied to somebody's psychology PhD thesis or something...

Anyway, the young boss noted that the plots don't even support a second "Y" axis.  Did he miss something?  We also link in a library of user-added functions, and last I heard that ran a lot slower with Prime as well, maybe that's his other beef.

But there is no turning back; the ribbon has and always will draw vacuum down to about 0.1 torr (a nice way of saying a current vulgarism in the USA), but eventually I'll get all the keystrokes down like I do now in 15 pretty much and auto-hide the ribbon - as I've noted before, calculations are generally vertically oriented; one reads down the page, so the ribbon is counter-productive by it's very nature.  But now I can't dock toolbars to the sides of the window anymore, etc.  I wonder if the ribbon could be made side-docking?  That might actually be pretty nice.

Still, I'm thinking that as I get used to it it will, for general scratch-pad calcs, become my day-to-day again.  Anybody else doing the good/bads on the new version, or am I on the wrong thread?  Do they have a separate curmudgeon's forum?  😉

Anyway, the young boss noted that the plots don't even support a second "Y" axis.  Did he miss something?

Maybe. Primes 2D plots (we won't talk about those incredible lousy 3D plots here) are missing a lot of other things like labels, grid lines, legend, more formatting features, compared to real Mathcad (and real Mathcad never famous for being able to produce quality plots for publication). So in the newer versions of Prime, PTC has added a third party chart component. Its badly integrated, extremely slow, does not support units, does not scale according to the screen resolution (and so is quite unusable with a smaller 4K display), ...

But, alas, this chart component supports a secondary y-axis, grids and labels 😉

GrumpyOldTom
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you, sir.

I'm just shaking my head. Truly. I've been making fantastic publication-quality plots with MATLAB for the last 20 years.  What in all that's holy is so hard about this?

Maybe that's what I'll have to do, pass all the plotting off to MATLAB... Kinda defeats the purpose, eh?

Announcements
Check out the latest
Mathcad Tip
"PTC Mathcad 15 / Prime 1-6 Update."