cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Mathcad Prime - Formatting.

ppal
17-Peridot

Mathcad Prime - Formatting.

Please see attached for formatting issues in Mathcad Prime

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV
(To:ppal)

Yes - no sub- and superscript in Prime.

I use pictures if I want to have it in comments.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Yes - no sub- and superscript in Prime.

I use pictures if I want to have it in comments.

ValeryOchkov написал(а):

I use pictures if I want to have sub- and superscripts in comments.

I do it (pictures as comments) in Mathcad 15 too when I want to change a comment depended on the calculation situation.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

One of the many annyoing limitations of Prime.

One way around could be to insert math regions inside the text region and use the boolean equal sign there. The text may not look consistent, though.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi m. u.,

You must simply select (bleu) one at a time, each equation and paste it in the text area as follows:

prime formatting.jpg

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:-MFra-)

VERY NICE TRICK!!

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

this (formulas and text) also applies to the collapsible areas (drag and drop into the area does not work)

F.M. написал(а):

this (formulas and text) also applies to the collapsible areas (drag and drop into the area does not work)

Try please Ctrl-x and Ctrl-v (copy)

It is the same as copy and paste!

According to your instructions, but first, you have to select the object, then press Ctrl + X keys so that  the selected object disappears and then proceed with the paste. Or press Ctrl + v, which is equivalent to copy, and then proceed with paste. Might as well use select (or cut) + copy + paste. Thanks anyway

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

By doing so you create a math region inside the text region, but not simple text with super or subscripts. You don't have to use copy and paste - you may create a math region from scratch inside a text region by typing Ctrl-Shift-M or by clicking on the first item in the math menu ribbon.

Thats exactly what I meant when I wrote "One way around could be to insert math regions inside the text region" in my answer above. And as that math region would be fully working, I suggested using the boolean equal sign to avoid unwanted side effects.

Nevertheless its a severe flaw that we can't use super- and subscripts in normal text. Hope this will be fixed soon.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Werner_E)

Hi Werner,

being in a text area and clicking on "math" all is well, that is, it creates a math region in the text region. However if I click Ctrl + shift+ M, it creates a math region, but in square brackets.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

> However if I click Ctrl + shift+ M, it creates a math region, but in square brackets.

Interesting! This does not happen in  Prime 3.0 which I have installed here. Ctrl-Shift-M and clicking on "Math" both have the very same effect (without any brackets).

Could this be a new Prime 3.1 "feature"/bug?

EDIT': I guess you are sure you don't simply type Ctrl-M as this would insert a matrix and of course would have square brackets.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I have tried several times to click Ctrl + shift + m (Prime 3.1)  in a text area, it always creates a math region in square brackets.

Maybe it depends on the keyboard with Italian codepage.

This is another problem to add to what is already known: the caret, instead of exponentiation it provides an if statement.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

F.M. wrote:

I have tried several times to click Ctrl + shift + m (Prime 3.1)  in a text area, it always creates a math region in square brackets.

This is another problem to add to what is already known: the caret, instead of exponentiation it provides an if statement.

Its quite possible that it has to do with local keyboard mapping. Thats something Mathcad never was good at. Also older version of Mathcad always had significant problems with localized versions.

The Prime problem with the missing exponentiation symbol ^ on Italian keyboards is particularly annoying and bad and had been discussed (along with some more or less inconvenient workarounds) here quite some times beginning right when Prime 1.0 was out. PTC never bothered to fix this.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

We hope that these imperfections be absent in Mathcad Prime 4.0.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

F.M. wrote:

While there*s life, there's hope. But I won't hold my breath 😉

According to the current roadmap we should know somewhere in February.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I wonder why, unlike known software houses, which automatically provide software updates, to customers / users, PTC does not provide such a service. If you sell a defective product, it must be collected and returned without defects!!

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I fully agree - while being aware that there is no such thing as a software without defects. But what do you expect from a company which lets you pay for the privilege to report bugs and errors?

The development of Prime by PTC is a thoroughly unpleasant and incomprehensible story.

Given the many flaws, drawbacks, limitations, etc. which Prime has, I understand, that making the program working correct with "foreign" keyboard layouts has low priority for development. On the other side I hope that PTC understands, why people don't want to use Prime for any serious work.

They (PTC) do make it so very hard to like Prime. I keep trying to switch to Prime. Today I was driven back to MC15 because I need superscripts and subscripts in text regions and frankly pasting in images or math regions to simulate subscripts and superscripts is just too much hassle.

Roll on Prime 4.x or 5.x and lets see if some more useful legacy features appear, let alone any genuinely new features.

F.M. написал(а):

I hope in 4.1 or 5.0.

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

F.M. wrote:

In my (English) Prime 3.1, Ctrl+Shift+M creates a math region inside a text region without the square brackets.  I'd guess your observations are related to the foreign keyboard.

Top Tags