cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Mathcad

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Mathcad

I found the classification made in this site regarding mathematical software very interesting. What do you think?: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_algebra_systems?fbclid=IwAR0mqtZPNUMfAmh4oFQne2gHasSVaEmNJSsCGDfxiC33Sr56vwQXNowgEHM

1 REPLY 1
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:-MFra-)

@-MFra- wrote:

I found the classification made in this site regarding mathematical software very interesting. What do you think?:

Not sure what you mean!? The list is a bit out of date as it lists Mathcad 15 M045 as the latest stable version while in fact the current release is M050. No mention of Prime.

The description as "Numerical software with some CAS capabilities " seems correct to me and some entries in the functionality table sure can be a matter of discussion. Mathcad offers integral transforms to some degree (laplace, but not fourier), it can solve ODEs, but not symbolically, etc.

Some information in the tables seems incorrect or at least inconsistent. E.g. the column "Creator" - while for Derive it lists correctly Soft Warehouse it incorrectly lists PTC for Mathcad. Either the original creator should be listed or the last owner (which would be Texas Instruments for Derive). Furthermore the description of Derive as a "CAS designed for pocket calculators" sure is wrong. Derive never was designed for calculators but TI thought they could use it for that purpose when the acquired the software.

Nevertheless an interesting list showing a lot of software I never tried 😉

Top Tags