cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Mathcad14 / Windows10 and DLLs

ga-2
1-Newbie

Mathcad14 / Windows10 and DLLs

Hi all, I've installed Mathcad14 on Windows10. Mathcad seems to run fine but I cannot run DLLs any more(not even the example DLLs in the userfi executable folders). Anyone has any expertise nice with running and compiling Mathcad14 DLLs in a Windows10 environment.

I've also tried to complile some DLLs the same way that did in a WindowsXP (using studio 2010 express) environment but I was not successful (compliles ok but Mathcad cannot access/read the DLL).

Any help is appreciate. Geo

18 REPLIES 18
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:ga-2)

Hi,

Is there any chance for you to update your version up to Mathcad 15 M045?

http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial

http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial/thank-you

ga-2
1-Newbie
(To:VladimirN)

Hi Valdimir, will migration to Mathcad15 help with the DLL problem?

In general I'm hesitant upgrade, I tend to like the older versions of Mathcad more (all the way back to M7). Do you think this is a M14 limitation with Windows10?

Thanks

jabel-2
2-Guest

Not sure my experience is typical, but after the Windows 10 anniversary update MathCad 14 would no longer run, so I upgraded.

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:jabel-2)

Various users, including myself, have successfully run Mathcad 14 on Windows 10.  However, I'm not sure about the DLL's questioned here.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Besides the answers which are already specified in this theme (especially attention for you to Luс's answer) I will note that officially only release of Mathcad 15 M050 are planned to be supported on Windows 10 and it's tentatively scheduled for April 2017.

Pic_1.png

ga-2
1-Newbie

Hi Vladimir, I've installed M15 and I still get the same problem (this time with Windows7). I cannot access the userefi DLLS DIGAMMA() & KRONECKR() (I get the "This variable is undefined" error).

Any clues?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

They work fine for me, so it's not a Mathcad problem, as such. Some kind of Windows security setting perhaps?

ga-2
1-Newbie

Hi Vladimir,

In addition to not being able to run the example build in DLLs(userefi DLLS DIGAMMA() & KRONECKR() give "This variable is undefined" error), when I try to compile the example DLLs in M15/M045/Windows7 I now get the error message:

1>------ Build started: Project: cmplxsum, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

1>  CMPLXSUM.C

1>LINK : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/INCREMENTAL' due to '/OPT:ICF' specification

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Thanks

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I'm running Mathcad 11 on Windows 10, and it finds and uses my DLL's without problems; I should expect no problems for Mathcad 14 either therefor. I must admit that I did not compile any DLL's recently.

What is your windows type (32 or 64 bit), what do/did you use to compile the DLL's (Studio or Studio express), and where did you put the DLL's?

- Note that Mathcad 14 is a 32-bit application that should be installed in a branch of the "Program Files (x86)" directory if you have a 64-bit Windows. With 32-bit Windows, Mathcad should be installed in "Program Files".

- The DLL's should be compiled as 32-bit versions. Studio express is limited to 32-bits, but with Studio (not express) you could compile them as 64-bits and make then useless for Mathcad.

- The DLL's must be in the ..\/Mathcad\UserEFI  directory, when Mathcad is installed in ...\Mathcad.

Hope this helps.

Luc

ga-2
1-Newbie
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi Luc,

M14 is installed on Wondows10 (64-bit) in the "Program Files (x86)" directory.

The DLLs were compiled using Studio express 2010 and were copied to the userefi directory.

Studio express 2010 was also installed in the "Program Files (x86)" directory, so it's probably 32-bits.

I cannot even access the default DIGAMMA() & KRONECKR() DLLs in the userefi directory (I get the "This variable is undefined" error). I've tried M14 and a trial M15/M045. I get the same error in both cases.

I guess I'll probably have to solve the default DLL access problems before I start worrying about compiling and accessing my own DLLs.

Thanks, Geo

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

This is how it looks for me in Mathcad 11 under windows 10 (32 bit):

If the first two lines don't work for you, check the rights you have in the UserEFI directory. It should not matter, but it just might be that you need to be an administrator to access the dll's. That would be a weird and undesirable situation, but it's not unthinkable.

Success!
Luc

ga-2
1-Newbie

Luc, success!

Running with admin access works and I can now see the DLLs (similar file access dlls btw). So M14/Windows10 is ok DLL wise.

M15/M045/Windows7 is still not ok but I'm ok for the moment since my issue (M14/W10) has been solved.

Thanks for your tips and help, Geo

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Glad to be of help.

I'm afraid for Mathcad 14 and below (or should I say above, because no Mathcad version tops Mathcad 11...) PTC will not take action to correct this weird behaviour.

But I think this is a point of attention for PTC, for any update of Mathcad 15 and/or Prime: Access of Mathcad to .dll's in the UserEFI directory should NOT require administrator privileges.

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Access of Mathcad to .dll's in the UserEFI directory should NOT require administrator privileges.

That is the nature of Windows 10 (and, to a lesser extent, 7 and 8). They tightened up security. Overall that's a good thing, but it comes with consequences.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

I should think that it is a consequence of the method used by the application how a DLL is accessed. Other applications have no problem with accessing a DLL that is in a subdirectory of the Program Files (x86) directory, so Mathcad and Prime should be able to do the same.

Or, am I thinking too simplistic...?

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I don't know much about it, and have never bothered to look into it. I know that starting with Win 7 they increased security, and some things that worked in XP no longer did. I don't know if this is a security setting for the folder, something in the DLL, something in Mathcad.exe, or some combination of those things.

FDS
12-Amethyst
12-Amethyst

Dear Luc, how have you been able to install MC11 on Windows 10? I have a single user license of MC11 but can no longer install this. (Als je hiertoe bereid bent, kunnen we dit ook buiten het forum bespreken). Best regards, Filip

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:FDS)

I was in time (before PTC support on it ended) to install Mathcad 11 on Windows 7, then simply upgraded Windows7 to 10 (being in time to do that for free).

Now I'm hoping that my computer will keep on running.

Luc

Top Tags