cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Matrix Output from For Loop

FrankM22
6-Contributor

Matrix Output from For Loop

Hi, I am very new to mathcad, and am wondering if anyone could help me solve why when using Prime 7's inbuilt xmcd converter, the output of my for loop is no longer a matrix for all values of k, but the output for the final number of k only. I have tried re-writing the for-loop from scratch but that still gives me the same result.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:FrankM22)

@FrankM22 wrote:

Hi, I am very new to mathcad, and am wondering if anyone could help me solve why when using Prime 7's inbuilt xmcd converter, the output of my for loop is no longer a matrix for all values of k, but the output for the final number of k only. I have tried re-writing the for-loop from scratch but that still gives me the same result.

Just add out as the last line in your program.  Mathcad returns the last thing it evaluated.  In your case, it was the last element of Mz.

Cheers,

Stuart

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@FrankM22 wrote:

Just add out as the last line in your program.  Mathcad returns the last thing it evaluated.  In your case, it was the last element of Mz.

Cheers,

Stuart

FrankM22
6-Contributor
(To:StuartBruff)

Ah ok, thanks so much. I'd tried something similar and having the last line as return out[k but I suppose for the same reasons you said it would only output the value of out at the final value of k. Cheers again.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

No worries.  IIRC, one of the versions of Mathcad (possibly 12?) did return the matrix rather than the element, but this didn't really fit with the way that Mathcad was supposed to work (ie,  return last calculation by default).

Cheers,

Stuart

Yes, it was MC12

And the reason that the Mathcad sheet of the OP also gives a vector result in Mathcad 15 is the setting under "Tools"-"WorkSheet Options"-"Compatibility"-"Local assignment result" which is set to "MC12" in this sheet:

Werner_E_0-1627111654693.png

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Werner_E)

Aha.  Mystery explained. IIRC, I used to leave multiple assignment on but change local assignment.

@StuartBruff wrote:

Aha.  Mystery explained. IIRC, I used to leave multiple assignment on but change local assignment.

Same here. I think that's the factory default (in Normal.xmct) anyway.

Top Tags