cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Matrix Problems. Mathcad only show two little black boxes.

ptc-6105838
1-Newbie

Matrix Problems. Mathcad only show two little black boxes.

Hi,

I have trouble with mathcad 14 because it doesn't solve a Matrix. I want to work with a 10x45 matrix and mathcad do nothing. When I try to traspose the 10x45 matrix, mathcad just show "=" and two little black boxes. However when I create, for example, a 5x4 matrix, in that case mathcad does solve it.

Maybe some of you have had the same porblem and could help me. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Maybe a bug which was fixed in the meantime.

Your sheet works OK when opened with the current Mathcad 15 M030

What happens if you define a variable A:=U[transposed] and then use A=

You have turned on automatic calculation?!

If I define A:=U(transposed), and the A=, mathcad shows the same two little boxes. I took a screenshot of that.

The automatic calcutalion was in fact turned on. I turned it off and now mathcad only shows one on the little boxes, but doesnt transpone the matrix. Its as if there weren't a matrix defined with "U".

I am new in Mathcad and maybe i turned on or turned off something accidentally, because I also have mathcad in a desktop computer and there works perfectly, but I need the laptop for the University.

Screen+Shot+2014-05-28+at+10.15.09+AM.png

Automatic calculation should normally be turned ON, thats OK as it was. I was asking as if you turn autocalc OFF the behaviour you experience would be explainable - Mathcad simply would not calculate the transposed Matrix.

I can't think of any other switch to turn on or off which would cause the missing evaluation, so as I already wrote it may be a bug which was fixed in the meantime. Which version/maintanance release of MC14 are you using? Any chance on upgrading?

Werner Exinger wrote:

... Your sheet works OK when opened with the current Mathcad 15 M030 ...

The same for me in MC15 M030.

I've just tried it in Mathcad 14 M020 and it works ok there as well.

Alan

AlanStevens wrote:

I've just tried it in Mathcad 14 M020 and it works ok there as well.

Alan

And I just looked at the release notes of Mathcad 14 and 15 and could not spot any fixed error which would fit the description.

@Fernando: I suppose you have autocalc turned ON again. Some questions:

What happens when you put the cursor somewhere in the region which does not evaluate and press F9,

what if you press Ctrl-F9? (the first should evaluate the region, the latter recalculates the whole sheet).

What, if you assign the transposed matrix a variable A as above and then try to just show a single element like A[1,3= (chose the matrix and element so that you can tell if you really see part of the transposed matrix). It may be that the transposed matrix is calculated correctly but simply not displayed (no idea why this could happen). But if thats the case you could at least work with the transposed matrix.

Well. I uninstalled mathcad and installed it again, and still have the problem. I think that may be something on settings about the size of the matrix, because if I use a 9x9 matrix, I have no problem but the problem begins when working with 10x10 matrix or bigger. I also tried to open a doc. which contained big matrix, and my mathcad didn't show me the matrix, however if you click there, it seems as if there is the matrix but can't see the content.

Or the problem could be because i am running mathcad in Mac with parallels.

Hi,

What service release of Mathcad 14 are you using? Here is a software requirements for MC14 (full list for all service releases can be found here: http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/98347/en/Mathcad_14_M035_RELNOTES.HTM 😞

* Microsoft .NET Framework® 3.5 or later,

* MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK (this exact version of MSXML is required).

Top Tags