cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Matrix Units Help?

AF_8613550
1-Newbie

Matrix Units Help?

Hi,

I have been unable to find a solution online for the problem I am having. I defined a matrix [A:=] with the units of psf. When I restate the matrix with an evaluation [A=], the units are psi. How do I change the units from psi to psf in the evaluated expression? The matrix contains strings and constants (defined with units). I am using an older version (Express Prime 5.0.0.0).

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5

Attach your sheet please.

I think the SIUnits function can help.

Hi,

Please see attached. I am on an expired trial with Prime, so I may not have access to the functions needed to solve this.

Thank you!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:AF_8613550)

I'm afraid there is no solution for your problem.

For a single value, you can set ('force') the value to a specific unit, by putting that unit in the placeholder of the result. While Prime allows multiple units in a matrix, there is no way to force the matrix output to another value, unless it applies to all matrix elements. In your matrix that's not the case.

LucMeekes_1-1609410255458.png

Success!
Luc

Prime uses tables (rather than matrices) for data input.  The following was in Prime 4.0 Express, your 5.0 should read and execute.

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1609436085610.png

As Luc already wrote, there seems to be no satisfactory solution for your problem.

There is no way to force the unit in the display of a matrix for single elements. We can only change it for the whole matrix and this does not work in your case because of the text-strings.

Furthermore Prime does not provide any mechanism to change the default unit in a given unit system.

If you display a matrix with the values only without the row and column headers, you can force them to be displayed in psf (because all matrix elements are of the same unit.

Werner_E_0-1609429727037.png

To create a table with headers, the only workaround I can think of is to divide the values by the desired unit and note that unit in the header description:

Werner_E_1-1609429804519.png

This would also work with quantities of different units, but it shouldn't be necessary to do so given we are using a software claiming to be able to deal with units in a natural way.

Top Tags