Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximize Function: MC 15

SOLVED
Highlighted
Visitor

Maximize Function: MC 15

All --

Any ideas on why the attached sheet bombs? The error is (of course) "This variable is undefined", but I have been using MC long enough now to know that when you get that error in a solve block the absolute last thing that is likely wrong is that you have an undefined variable. I note that if I remove two of the conditions in the solve block, it works. Maybe this means there is no convergence?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Maximize Function: MC 15

OK, I'm an idiot. Worksheet (below) now works correctly (I think). Putting it in to production mode to look for remaining issues. Thanks, all.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

1. The vector p is a constant.

2. Plot please H(p) function

Valery -- thanks for the reply.However, I'm not sure that I follow you. I provide guess values for p that are constant, but the vector values are, themselves, the parameters being optimized in the solve block. As for plotting the function H(p), that doesn't make sense. H takes the vector p as input and provides a scalar output. I'm not exactly sure what you would like for me to plot.

Matt

Moe, if You would like to find a maximum of a function with one argument You can plot this function and see this maximum.

I think so.

But the one argument is actually a vector of (in this case) 28 values.

Moe Szyslak wrote:

But the one argument is actually a vector of (in this case) 28 values.

Ok,

Can you calculate the value of this function in one point?

Sure. What point? It can be calculated for any vector p.

The solve block given-find needs a guess value. Can you calculate the value of your function with this guess value?

May be so - see the attach.

Valery -- thanks, but that doesn't do it. I, too, found that if I remove one of the constraints the solve block executes. However, this changes the nature of the problem. The vector p is a vector of probabilities and, as such, needs to sum identically to 1. In your attached sheet, I note that it sums to 1.005. If you're tempted to say "close enough", just change the value of mu_p from 0.4 to 0.5 and you'll find that the sum of the vector p is much greater than 1.

I note that I solved this problem in Excel, so I know that there is an optimal solution that satisfies all constraints.

Announcements