cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Missing worksheets

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Missing worksheets

When everything was moved over to these forums was tere a cut off date for moving uploaded files? If you look at this thread:

https://communities.ptc.com/thread/17512

the Mathcad worksheets for all the early posts are missing!

6 REPLIES 6

Everything was supposed to move over, but there was so much data, that only posts and worksheets back to 2005 moved over. Let me know how much of a problem this is.

Mona

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:mzeftel)

yes it is a problem.... I'm sure I have refered to a Quaternion post in 2003 a number of times.

A suggestion is that you transfer across all of the ealier thread that have a recent link to them. e.g. If a thread between 2006 and the present links to an uncopied thread, then copy across that thread. This will limit the data to be copied across to those that others have found important.

You can choose the level of overlap to manage the size of the transfer. These data reposirories are where the value is.

There is also (probably) a need for one level of recursion, just in case, for threads that refer to other threads.

Someone will probably need to write a Perl script (choose you poison of script language 😉 to identify those [complete] threads.

Philip

>yes it is a problem.... I'm sure I have refered to a

Quaternion post in 2003 a number of times.<

Ok Philip, you have a point but I have no recollection

you ever had posted a single work sheet .

No problem for the Quaternions, read what I have

posted this week. Quaternions have no interest

if they don't come as a tool, especially in Mathcad.

True, some precious work sheets will be lost.

Those for instance from Xavier, Paul, Robert ...

Fortunately they are all in my box because those

names [principally] were my mentors.

There may be more lost from Russia

... Valery, Yuk, Viktor ... Martin ...

jmG

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

At least some posts from much more than 5 years ago were moved. For example:

https://communities.ptc.com/thread/17506

Yes, it's a problem that the worksheets were not all moved. The fact that PlanetPTC has only been up a week and I already ran into this says a lot (I posted a link over in Pro/E land because there was a discussion regarding this geometry)! I'll also note that while the original posts in that thread were in 2002 the latest posts are only 1 year old, so the thread itself spans 7 years! Math doesn't go out of date in 5 years, and a lot of those old worksheets are still useful.

Anyway, how much data can there possibly be? Mathcad files are usually not that large, and storage is dirt cheap (you can buy a 2TB hard drive at Bestbuy for less than $150).

The problem is not storage, but the work of moving all the data and putting it in the right places. Apparently it was a huge job. If you know of individual posts and worksheets, that you have need of, let me know, and I will try and copy them to here. Likewise, since they are still available on the Collab, feel free to copy worksheets here as well.

Mona

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Mona Zeftel wrote:

The problem is not storage, but the work of moving all the data and putting it in the right places. Apparently it was a huge job.

I already discussed this with Dan. I have emailed you a copy. In short, it wouldn't have been such a huge job if a company with a small army of programmers had decided to write a prgram to do it rather than moving everything by hand.

Likewise, since they are still available on the Collab

For how long?

feel free to copy worksheets here as well.

I don't feel much inclination to copy dozens of worksheets over to the nrew forums, and then (since I can't insert them in the original post unless it heppens to be by me) write a long description of how they relate to the thread.

Top Tags