cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Mixed units in matrices

wbell
8-Gravel

Mixed units in matrices

I am trying to set up the equations for the solution of a matrix displacement problem in structural analysis, i.e., F=KU, where F = force matrix {4X1}, K=stiffness matrix {4X4}, and U=displacement matrix {4X1}.  However, Mathcad will not accept the definition of these matrices with mixed units.  Do I have to define these matrices as unitless and track the results by hand?

Thank you for your assistance.

9 REPLIES 9
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:wbell)

Mathcad 15 does not permit mixed units in matrices. Mathcad Prime does (it's one of the few things where Prime is better).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

Mathcad Prime does (it's one of the few things where Prime is better).

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Thats a drawback in older Mathcad versions and one of the very few benefits of Prime.

in Prime you can have different dimensions in a matrix, but in MC15 and below you unfortunately can't.

WE

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Am I right in thinking that an older version of Mathcad accepted mixed unit arrays?

Mike

No, it's not been possible in any version prior to Prime.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Maybe the constant feature requests over the years clouded my thoughts.

Maybe 15-20 years from now we will be having the same discussion about multi-dimension arrays (with or without mixed units)

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

I agree with Richard & Werner.  However, it might still be possible to achieve your overall goal without switching to Prime or omitting units.  Would you be able to achieve what you want by simply splitting your calculations into two portions: one for load/displacement, and the other for moment/rotation?

Finally, I would encourage you to include your units in the definition of the variables rather than in the equations.  For example:

Use:

Y1 := 1*kip

F12 := Y1...

Instead of:

Y1 := 1

F12 := Y1*kip...

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV
(To:MJG)

But only in Mathcad PM (Prime Minister)

we can do so - change units of separate elements in outputted array:

v-units.png