cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Multi-Dimensional Arrays (MDAs)

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Multi-Dimensional Arrays (MDAs)

There have been a few threads/blogs recently that have highlighted the potential for Multi-Dimensional Arrays (MDAs)

The link below goes to a PTC blog that talks about database querying. One aspect that I'm not sure is covered is OLAP integration, and it's certainly difficult to see how multi-dimensional dataset analysis can be supported (without a lot of work) using the current nested array structure (for example, the clumsy indexing notation required to get at a nested element (and the fact that you can't directly assign values using such notation).

http://blogs.ptc.com/2014/10/15/to-query-or-not-to-query-that-is-the-question/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mathcad+%28PTC+Mathcad%29

Another thread was that started by J Lee in which it turned out that the originator wanted an array of matrices (ie, a multi-dimensional array) to represent his output data.

MDAs have been on the feature request list since at least Mathcad version 11 and the need has not gone away; indeed, the amount of multi-dimensional data sets is increasing all the time and Mathcad poorly serves those who have to deal with it.

Can anybody shed any light on whether PTC are even considering implementing MDAs at some stage?

Stuart

7 REPLIES 7
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

Can anybody shed any light on whether PTC are even considering implementing MDAs at some stage?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Maybe create an idea and encourage people to vote

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Are non-maintenance users now allowed to create ideas?... hmm, just checking ... No, they aren't.

Perhaps a maintenance-paying user could?

Stuart

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

StuartBruff wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Are non-maintenance users now allowed to create ideas?... hmm, just checking ... No, they aren't.

Perhaps a maintenance-paying user could?

Stuart

Don't get me started on that

My account has recently changed from non-maintenance to maintainence for no apparent reason, so when I get a chance I will create the idea using some of the spiel from this thread if you do not mind.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

My account has recently changed from non-maintenance to maintainence for no apparent reason, so when I get a chance I will create the idea using some of the spiel from this thread if you do not mind.

Sure, no worries, Mike.

Stuart

One interpolation of data in 3-D array:

4_13_4D_Spline.png

In many programming languages​​, there are language extensions that simulate queries (JavaScript - jQuery, c# - Linq).

You can hide work with multidimensional arrays, using a set of special functions. Like this: Linq - useful functions for working with sets.

Top Tags