Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW API for Mathcad Prime 3.1

Highlighted

Re: NEW API for Mathcad Prime 3.1

You say " And all the source code comes bundled plus a User’s Guide for the API."

Is it possible to access/purchase just the User's Guide without the source code?

Looks like you have to use Visual Studio and Manually look at each method/function/constant:

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.1 API + SDK | Product Lifecycle Report

I took screen captures of the classes.  If you dig a little more, you can see the parameters for functions and subs, but I couldn't find documentation on what the returned value represents (beside the type that is)

Hope this helps, it sure is more information then what Mathcad is willing to provide.

Structure-001.jpgStructure-002.jpgStructure-003.jpgStructure-004.jpgStructure-005.jpgStructure-006.jpgStructure-007.jpgStructure-008.jpgStructure-009.jpgStructure-010.jpg

Are you looking at learning a language?  Or are you interested in learning how to use Visual Studio?

Kenny,

I am not a programmer but a Mechanical Engineering.  My programming experience goes back to Fortran IV and lately Python.  I would like to learn a programming  language that would support API development.  Several of the program packages (SolidWorks, Mathcad, Orcaflex) I use support API.  It seems there are several ways to write APIs (C, C++, C#, Visual Basic).  Could you recommend programing language (maybe Visual Basic) and book that would give me good insight into APIs?

Thanks,

I think you are confusing creating an API and calling another software package via it's API. The writer of the software package creates the API for that software package, and as such they are all different. They typically have similar features and syntax, but they are not the same (hence the complaints here that PTC does not provide documentation for the API for Mathcad, unless you are willing to submit to extortion). If you wish to call a piece of software via it's API then which languages you could use depends on whether the API supports both early and late binding, or only early binding. If it only supports early binding (which is usually not the case, but it might be) then you must use a language that can be compiled (so, for example, VBscript or Jscript could not be used). If it supports both early and late binding then almost any language could be used. If you are already learning or know Python then that would work fine in either case. Just read up on objects, their methods and properties, etc. An API is essentially just a collection of objects that allow you to access features of the given software package.

BTW, "Visual Basic" no longer exists, and Basic is a horrible language anyway. If you want to learn a language in Visual Studio IMO your best choice would be C#. But for an engineer Python would be a much better choice, because there's a lot you can do with Python in science and engineering (someone is even developing a Mathcad like interface: http://miramath.newfrontierscompsoln.com/ )

Richard,

Thank you for the clear explanation on the differences between API and programming. 

I use Visual Basic (VB6, VB.net, VBscript, VBA); I'm able to program Mathcad 15, MS Office, AutoCAD, SMath, Custom GUI with VB.  If I were to take the time and learn a new language, I would probably sit down and learn C# as the language has potential.

As for references/materials, I don't have any good ones; it may not be a bad Idea to track down some college professor who posts notes online per the language you want.

As for the API, you can guess and debug through Mathcad Prime's capabilities; or you can find an alternative.  I was refered to the following site, which DOES provide documentation for its respective software: SMath Studio Core documentation - Samples - SMath Studio Forum

I cannot endorse it, but there is a tutorial for creating add-ons through Express... its more then Mathcad is willing to provide:

Some food for thought.  I'm debating jumping from Mathcad 15 and right now its not going to be mathcad prime unless they get there act into gear...

Richard Jackson wrote:

... But for an engineer Python would be a much better choice, because there's a lot you can do with Python in science and engineering (someone is even developing a Mathcad like interface: http://miramath.newfrontierscompsoln.com/ ) ...

It would be nice to see a step by step guide to creating a mathematical programs like MiraMath by using Python programming language.

Screenshot.png

It would be nice to see a step by step guide to creating a mathematical programs like MiraMath by using Python programming language.

Step 1. Learn to program

Step 2. Learn a lot more about programming

Step 3. Learn Python

Step 4. Learn a lot more about Python

Step 5. Learn to write parsers

Step 6. Write three parsers, as described on the Miramath website.

Easy

Richard,

What in your opinion of distinction (advantages/shortcomings) between C# and Python programming languages?