Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new postings display, coupled with "Mark all read" function

Re: Need a new postings display, coupled with "Mark all read" function

Has anyone tried either of those approaches? We are looking at additional filters so you can siphon through Mathcad-only content (new vs old)

They both seem to me to be the use of external software to fix a deficiency in the forums. A better solution is to fix the deficiency.

I have no interest at all in cluttering up my bookmarks with 17 more entries. The only way that would conceivably be acceptable would be if I put them all on a sub-menu. And I would still need to click on every one of them just to find out if that sub-forum even had any new entries. No chance.

I also don't see an RSS feed as much of a solution. The feed shows only the new posts, so it has no context, and I can't use it to reply. So then I have to got to go to the forums anyway. All we want is something like this:

Mark Read.gif

Then when you are in a sub-forum, the same thing but showing the "New" markers for threads with new posts. Then when you are in a thread each new post is marked as such. Then give us a setting so that the "New" tags will not be removed until we do it manually. That still wouldn't be as good as the old Collaboratory (because we still wouldn't have the left hand browser pane), but it would be vastly better than what we have now.

Myabe I'm dense, but clicking a bookmark and clicking a link are the same to me. The overhead required because this site is slower than the old site, coupled with the fact that most of the subcommunities are not active at any given time. So, how is this an "excellent" solution?

Like Richard, I've already got too many bookmarks and don't want to have to add more just because the website doesn't have a clean interface. From what I can tell, what Richard describes is almost all there already. In fact, if PTC would just keep the community "folder" listing on the left side ALL THE TIME, instead of flipping positions will-nilly, we'd have the folder pane that used to be in the Collab. Then, it's just adding the information about the new postings as Richard describes and the site would be substantially better. Frankly, do I really care what tags are applied to the pages? I'm already on the page, what do I care about the search tags?

And moving all the junk on the right hand side to the top would allow nearly 50% wider displays of the threads, but I would give that up to get the "folder" view.

Eden Mei wrote:

In fact, if PTC would just keep the community "folder" listing on the left side ALL THE TIME, instead of flipping positions will-nilly, we'd have the folder pane that used to be in the Collab.

Not quite, but I'm with you. That's a great suggestion.

Richard Jackson wrote:

BostonDan wrote:

Look at the Discussion tab, from there you can view what's new (or updated) versus what you've already ready.Use the same technique for each sub-community.

As already stated though, several times, nobody has the time or the inclination to go through every sub-forum one at a time to see what is new.

Yes, that's what I called weeks ago "Lost threads". Under "Mathcad", pile them all and one click for all.

BTW Dan,

I don't see my silver star anymore. I would say for last two days. Does no star mean "renegade" or are you looking for a "Maple Leaf star" ?

jean Giraud wrote:

BTW Dan,

I don't see my silver star anymore. I would say for last two days. Does no star mean "renegade" or are you looking for a "Maple Leaf star" ?

Jean,

You don't see silver star because it's GONE GOLD........

Mike

Yup, looks like you've gone Gold! Maybe you were racking up points so quickly, it just couldn't keep up with you

BostonDan wrote:

Yup, looks like you've gone Gold! Maybe you were racking up points so quickly, it just couldn't keep up with you

Dan,

Yep Jean has gone gold. It seems the star point ratings as follows.

< 500 Bronze

> 500 < 1500 Silver

> 1500 GOLD

Long way to go!!!!!

Mike

Richard Jackson wrote:

All we want is something like this:

[pic]

Then when you are in a sub-forum, the same thing but showing the "New" markers for threads with new posts. Then when you are in a thread each new post is marked as such. Then give us a setting so that the "New" tags will not be removed until we do it manually. That still wouldn't be as good as the old Collaboratory (because we still wouldn't have the left hand browser pane), but it would be vastly better than what we have now.

Bingo.

- Guy

Announcements