cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Need to select the maximum of two column matrices and return as a column matrix.

bbond
12-Amethyst

Need to select the maximum of two column matrices and return as a column matrix.

Hello,

I run into the situation frequently where I need to select the lesser of greater of two equations.  Suppose I have equation A and equation B.  I've input say 6 values for A and B in a single column matrix and evaluated each.  I would like to define variable C as the maximum of A or B output for each row.  I attached a worksheet that demonstrates my problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:bbond)

Generally you would use the vectorize operator (see operators item in the tab, then under Vector and Matrix) for this job, but unfortunately, because max() and min() functions accept more than 2 arguments vectorization does not work for them.

So you have to write a small program:

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Generally you would use the vectorize operator (see operators item in the tab, then under Vector and Matrix) for this job, but unfortunately, because max() and min() functions accept more than 2 arguments vectorization does not work for them.

So you have to write a small program:

Success!
Luc

bbond
12-Amethyst
(To:LucMeekes)

Thnaks Luc.  That looks like that will accomplish my goal.  I'm not familiar with Mathcad programming so I'll have to study up on that.  At first pass I can't get the program lined up as yours is so it isn't evaluating.

Also, after m original post I found a related thread which someone helped solve using the vectorize operator and I have made that one work. 

Comparing data from two arrays

Is there a benefit of one method over the other?

Thanks again for the help.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Ah, yeah, completely forgot about this trick. Essentially what Werner shows is how to obtain a max function limited to 2 arguments, such that vectorization can work.

Yes Brandon, there is an advantage: Vectorization is usually faster.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags