cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

New temperature units

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

New temperature units

It will good to have in Mathcad new temperature units. Allen Razdow will be glad!

eV.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Это знает каждый ребенок в России.

1-40.png

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

It will good to have in Mathcad new temperature units. Allen Razdow will be glad!

eV.png

No!  

I'm Spartacus!

2021 10 27 A.png

Stuart

(No, the dulong isn't a real unit, AFAIA - it seemed a small thing to add it)

In spite of Stuart's scepticism, plasma physicists sometimes use eV as a measure of temperature!

(though I tend to share his scepticism!).

Alan

Moscow Power Engineering Institute: Mathcad Calculation Server (mpei.ac.ru)

it is my Mathcad on-line electrical cunductivity plasma calculation! eV as Tempertura (and kelvins).

@AlanStevens wrote:

In spite of Stuart's scepticism, plasma physicists sometimes use eV as a measure of temperature!

(though I tend to share his scepticism!).

It's not so much cynicism as the opposite of "a rose by any other name".  My degree was in astrophysics, so I'm quite used to seeing plasma temperature, energy, and mass all expressed in eV (lots and lots of them!).   Hence my "I'm Spartacus" reference.

StuartBruff_0-1635425831975.png

I don't mind this overloading as long as it's clear that an eV is not an eV and is most assuredly not, under any (conceivable or inconceivable) circumstance an eV.   It was bad enough missing Mars because SI and Imperial got confused.  Imagine getting your calculations wrong by a magnitude in the order of Boltzmann's constant ...

Also bear in mind that according to the BIPM, they of SI fame, there is only one true eV (energy) and even then they'd rather see it, and its fellow non-SI units, ablaze on posts lining the streets to Paris.

Stuart

Image from

https://atlas.cern/discover/physics/higgs

SI Brochure, Edition 9, p146:

(g) The electronvolt is the kinetic energy acquired by an electron in passing through a potential difference of one volt in vacuum. The electronvolt is often combined with the SI prefixes.

1-40.png

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

But Russia is neither the home of the BIPM nor the LHC!  😉

Still, I would probably have written, 

2021 10 28 A.png

😈

Stuart

CO.png

Sorry, Stuart,

I see Kelvin (?) and a submarine

What it it a submarune here?

I have someone (the world's largest) as UBS-device:

23-Submarine.png

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Sorry, Stuart,

I see Kelvin (?) and a submarine

What it it a submarune here?

I have someone (the world's largest) as UBS-device:

23-Submarine.png

Hmm ... Severodvinsk?  I think you've been sold a fake, Valery.  Looks more like a Sierra Class to me (Барракуды or кондор).  It would have been nice if the USB port popped out where the escape pod (спасательная капсула) would be on the sail ... 😎

Stuart

@StuartBruff wrote:

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

But Russia is neither the home of the BIPM nor the LHC!  😉

2021 10 28 A.png

😈

Stuart

Stuart!

And what about this submarin?

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

2021 10 28 A.png

😈

Stuart

Stuart!

And what abot this submarin?

Nothing fishy about it ... look at the Кодификация НАТО of the submarine class.

Stuart

Sorry, Stuart.

Why the submarine is in your unit of Temperature?

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

Sorry, Stuart.

Why the submarine is in your unit of Temperature?

According to NATO it's a "Kilo" Class submarine ...

Maybe people should start naming things after the SI numerical prefixes?  I was cogitating upon how the words "micro", "mega" and "giga" entered the popular vocabulary, and wondering if we should start using the other prefixes to describe things.

"How are things, man?"

"Totally zetta, dude!"

"Do you think she'll say 'yes' if I ask her for a dance?"

"Bro, I'd say you have an attochance of that happening.   She's, like, at least a teraleague out of your class."

"Oh."

"Zer-oh, more like."

Stuart

Thanks!

kK= 1000 kelvin

In Risia there is a mass unit мкг.

Wath is it мкг - г(gm)/10^6 or мкг - кг(kg)/1000? мк - micro, м - mili

Mega.png

micro.png

4k fron US satelite

4k.png

HOW CAN I DO THIS (IMAGE AS UNITS)

@胜王 wrote:

Create please the picture from Mathcad-sheet and edit the picture - insert in the picture image  etc Mao picture for example!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:胜王)

@胜王 wrote:

Adding to Valery's reply, here's how I "wrote" my image as a multiplier and unit:

2021 11 11 A.png

I've selected the regions so that it's easier to see that the unit (kilokelvin) is a pair of images posted next to a (40-point) equation.   A normal 11-point definition is shown for scale.

If you wanted to, you could try using a font editor to create images as characters.

Stuart

At the exam.
- What is horsepower - hp in Mathcad?
- This is the power that a horse develops, weighing one kilogram and one meter tall.
- Where have you seen such a horse?
- It's so easy to see. It is kept in Paris - in the BIPM.

An old joke. The teacher of the law of God complains to the “physics”: “Today I gave your favorite student a bad mark. I asked him what the Divine power is, so he answered me that it is the Divine mass multiplied by the Divine acceleration! " Physics teacher: “I'll give him a bad grade too! After all, the multiplication of the Divine mass by the Divine acceleration gives strength with Divinity squared, and not in the first degree! "

@ValeryOchkov wrote:

At the exam.
- What is horsepower - hp in Mathcad?
- This is the power that a horse develops, weighing one kilogram and one meter tall.
- Where have you seen such a horse?
- It's so easy to see. It is kept in Paris - in the BIPM.

😉

It's actually a Shetland Pony. 

800px-Remind_You_Of_Anyone

I believe it's now been redefined in terms of the coarse structure constant.   

Both the British and the Americans still measure its speed in gallops per mile, though.

Stuart 

(By Mark Robinson - originally posted to Flickr as Remind You Of Anyone?, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=10939300)

Top Tags