cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

New to Mathcad Prime 3

ptc-4614857
1-Newbie

New to Mathcad Prime 3

Just learning mathcad prime 3 and cannot find answers to the following. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

1) When using the prime notation for derivative, I cannot use CTRL. to see the derivative as a function of x if the original function is sin(2x). All is fine with the function sin(x). In particular, if I define f(x):=sin(2x) and use CTRL' to define fp(x):=f'(x), I get an error when I type fp(x) and then CTRL.

2) Again when using prime notation for the derivative, I can see the derivative if the function is x*sin(x) but I get the notation sin and cos rather than sin(x) and cos(x)

3) Is there a way to have equal scaling on the axes when plotting? For instance, I would like to see an ellipse when plotting parametrically the functions x=cos(t) and y=2sin(t).

Roger

1 REPLY 1

Think you have found a bug in Prime which you should report to PTC support.

The prime operator works for numerical evaluations but not for symbolical ones. The way the prime operator is documented it should work the same as the ordinary derivative operator, so its a bug if it doesn't.

Concerning the equal scale plot the answer is no. Generally plotting facilities in Prime are, spoken polite, rather mediocre. BTW you will see an ellipse anyway if you plot the functions you mentioned, but it may not have axis ration 2:1 unless you resize thge plot manually by visual judgement. A better example would be cos(t) over sin(t) which should be a perfect circle.

Top Tags