cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Not return Value when using integral in MathCad Prime!!

Ramakr56
6-Contributor

Not return Value when using integral in MathCad Prime!!

Hi Every one

Can any body Help me about this problem?

I Have Attached main file which is done by MathCad Prime 4.0

This is distributed load on a simple support beam and "V" and "M" are shear and moment, regardless of what is physical meaning of this parameters just as a mathematics

I do not know why M(x) does not return any answer while I can take answer in MathCAD 15  with same formulas!!

I do not want to use Evaluate for first integral because it makes another problem when "a=0"

Thanks in Advance

Ramak

Question.pngjavascript:;Question-15.png

8 REPLIES 8

Simply add the unit to the lower integral limit 0.

Instead of "0 ft" you may also write "Zero" (without the quotes and note the capital "Z").

For some reason its not necessary to do so for the second integral, but it sure is good habit to do.

Also its not necessary to write xi (or anything other than x) but its the correct mathematical way to do. You should not name the upper limit the same as the variable of integration.

Ramakr56
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Wow...

Thanks a lot

I never thought I should mention unit beside 0

Now it is working and I can Continue

But i did not understand why should I use some variation except x...

Thanks a million

> But i did not understand why should I use some variation except x...

Because x as upper limit of the definite integral and xi as variable of integration are two completely different things and therefore should be named differently. Its not mandatory to do so in Mathcad. Mathcad correctly interprets what you mean and first uses x as independent variable in the integration and then as specific upper limit of the integral which then gets the independent variable for the function you assign the integral to.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Ramakr56)

You could also follow this "road" ...:

Simple support beam.jpg

Ramakr56
6-Contributor
(To:-MFra-)

Thanks a lot

it is another choice and every root has its own benefits

may I ask you how can I find and learn about forms of evaluation, I mean the terms of "Simplify" and "Max" you use at the to of evaluate  icon??

Thanks

But keep in mind that symbolic evaluations in Mathcad are very weak and cannot be compared to those of Maple or Mathematica (not even Matlab, which basically uses the same engine). If your function W(x) gets more complex or if you use if-statements or if-functions instead of the Heaviside function the symbolics will fail. On the other hand - if possible its a good idea to symbolically evaluate the integral(s) as the numerical calculation of those double integrals takes a lot of time and things can be speeded up that way.

Ramakr56
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

oh ye Thanks a million for your kind helps...

Actually my another problem is always time of calculation for second integral and now i got the answer

again thanks a lot

I ham happy now

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Ramakr56)

...see Werner here above...

Top Tags