cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Numerical Evaluation and Symbolic Simplify.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Numerical Evaluation and Symbolic Simplify.

Hello,

I have a question, wish learning, and need help. It's about "There's a little bit off between numerical evaluation and symbolic simplify"

A Little Bit Off.PNG

I need help with a brief explanation.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Loi Le.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LouP
10-Marble
(To:lvl107)

The numeric evaluation has limited precision, so any (32-bit calc) is typically limited to ~10 decimal places. Examples which calculate small differences between two numbers lose accuracy rapidly. Here's a simpler example:

calc.jpg

Lou

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Add some more in Mathcad 15 M010:

Pic_1.PNG

LouP
10-Marble

The numeric evaluation has limited precision, so any (32-bit calc) is typically limited to ~10 decimal places. Examples which calculate small differences between two numbers lose accuracy rapidly. Here's a simpler example:

Lou

LouP
10-Marble

calc.jpg

Lou

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:LouP)

Pic.png

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:VladimirN)

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but this is not a good way to get the "correct" answer. I have warned repeatedly about using the float keyword. It does not just limit the precision of the result, it limits the precision of the calculations!

Top Tags