cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Numerical error

DaveWooff
5-Regular Member

Numerical error

Hi all,

I'm using Mathcad 2001i (as part of a Open University course) and have hit a problem. I was wondering if anyone would care to take a look and see if it can be easily resolved. I've attached the doc.

Basically I'm trying to find local maxima and minima of an expression. The expression itself is generated partly numerically but if I copy the expression using manually entered coeff values with the "same" values, I don't experience a problem. I've put the latter case on the second page down in the doc. Hopefully it's not too difficult to fathom.

I know the maxima and minima exist because I can see them on the graph plots (also illustrated).

Regards,

Dave W.

8 REPLIES 8
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:DaveWooff)

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

What course are you studying at the Open University. I completed the Structural Integrity module from the Engineering degree last year.

Mike

DaveWooff
5-Regular Member
(To:MikeArmstrong)

Hi Mike,

thanks for the welcome.

Mathematical Modelling MST209. Actually I've finished (and passed!) now so I'm contemplating my next move. Still badly bruised though. It was quite heavy going.

Thanks,

Dave W.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Hi David,

My Mathcad 11 gives 0.566202034099714 as answer for the first (upper, marked yellow) root.

The second (lower, also marked yellow) root results in 0.566202034099816

With the first difference on the 13th significant digit I think that's sufficiently equal.

What values do you see in Mathcad 2001i?

Luc

DaveWooff
5-Regular Member
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi Luc,

it's helpful to know that a different version of Mathcad is able to deal with it. I get a convergence error - on the first yellow highlighted derror().

Is it possibly a limitation of an old version of Mathcad do you think?

Ta, Dave.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

What do you have TOL set to?

Does this help? Values for MC11 and MC15 are both for TOL=10^-3.

DaveWooff
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Hi Richard,

yes I think this solves my problem. So, what is going on? Is your modification something to do with forcing symbolic rather than numerical differentiation?

I had TOL set to 0.001 (default value). Changing the value of TOL didn't seem to have much of an impact unless I set it closer to 1.

Thankyou very much,

Dave.

DaveWooff
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Actually, I see it now (should have been obvious since you highlighted it for me). Thanks again.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I'm not sure what you are referring to, since I highlighted everything I changed.

Yes though, it seems it did not like the combination of a numerical derivative and the numerical root finder. I guess they improved that in later versions.

As a side note, in Mathcad 15 the MuPad symbolic processor understands lsolve, so there is no need to rewrite the solution of the system of equations as matrix math. The Maple engine in earlier versions unfortunately does not understand it, which is a pity because the LU decomposition algorithm used by lsolve is numerically more stable that simple matrix inversion.

Top Tags