cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

ODE solver

SavitriN
8-Gravel

ODE solver

Hey guys I want to ask,

When I have two derivation dCOl/dx and dCOg/dx, there are two ways to use ODE solver :

First by solving it in 1 term (so its coupled) or second by solving one of each first.

I tried it and it gives a different result, now i'm wondering what is actually the difference when I do derivation coupled and uncoupled.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:SavitriN)

The possible ways of solution should not matter:

- If COg depends on COl or vice versa, you (generally) CANNOT solve one without the other.

You might be able to express one coompletely in terms of the other, that leaves you with one expression for Odesolve. Otherwise you should feed a set of equations to Odesolve.

- If COg and COl are completely independend, you have the option to solve them separately, or combine them in a set of equations that Odesolve should be able to solve.

Success!

Luc

You have coupled equations, where the value of one is required in the expression for the other.  They must be solved together.  If you solve only one the value of the other is fixed and therefore gives the wrong result for the solution.

Why don't you post your worksheet so that we can see what kind of ODEs your are dealing with and (most important) if they are independent from each other or not.

If they are not independent you can't solve them singly, of course.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

@LucMeekes wrote:

The OP did post worksheets, under different names, with different topics:

That may be, but to get an answer in THIS thread he should post his sheet in THIS thread and the sheet should fit his question for dCOl/dx and dCOg/dx

Furthermore the sheet should show his attempts and different results when solving singly and as a system.

In the other threads he was asking for a method of iteration while in fact it looks he was just after a system of ODEs which he already had solved in his sheet.

The question should be concentrated in ONE thread and a  mod should then delete his other posts to avoid further confusion.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

I couldn't agree with that more...

Luc

Top Tags