cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

OT: Dell Performance Optimizer

akelly
11-Garnet

OT: Dell Performance Optimizer

Anyone tried out the Dell Performance Optimizer?

Dell is very secretive about what it actually does - you won't find details in any of the documentation or the software. The Creo profile, for example, disables hyperthreading (good) and disables 2 CPU cores (bad if you're also a Mechanica, Ansys, etc. user). There are some other things it says it does for Creo but it uses fancy language without actually telling you what it is changing.

They say you can have multiple profiles active. I have no idea how it manages conflicts (e.g. Creo disables HT and 2 cores, while Adobe Creative Suite probably activates HT and all 4 cores) because someoptimizations conflict andcan't bechanged without rebooting.

They don't have profiles for Mechanica, Ansys, Mathcad, etc. There's no way for you to create your own profile.

Maybe it makes sense if you're a single application user. But people who are trying to tweak an extra few percent out of their machine probably know what to change anynow. If you use a CPU-intensive or graphics-intensive application that's not baked it, you're s.o.o.l.

Uninstalling it "broke" some optimizations I had done before installing it. It enabled hyperthreading (bad for Creo, Mechanica, Ansys). It activated the "Balanced" power profile (bad for Mechanica and Ansys).

My verdict: don't download it. Uninstall it if you have it.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags