cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Open Mathcad prime 6 in prime 5?

fabian_hois
1-Newbie

Open Mathcad prime 6 in prime 5?

My university computers only have Mathcad prime 5 and I wrote my document in Mathcad prime 6. How can I create a file that I can open in Mathcad 6.

when I try to open it there always comes an Error that this file is not compatible, because it is from a newer version.

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:fabian_hois)

There is no way. Normally opening a higher version document is not possible with an application. Prime is no exception to that, MSword is an exception though. In many cases you can save to older formats.
However, PTC have decided that for Prime that is not possible either...

Luc.

@fabian_hois wrote:

My university computers only have Mathcad prime 5 and I wrote my document in Mathcad prime 6. How can I create a file that I can open in Mathcad 6.

You sure mean that you want to be able to open the file in Mathcad 5, not 6.

As Luc already said, PTC had decided that you should not be able to save a file in P5 format when you are working with P6.

The only way you can "convert" a P6 file to P5 is to install P5 on  a machine and afterwards you install P6. Its possible to have them both side by side (you just lose the ability to convert worksheets from real Mathcad (MC15 and below) to P5 format - you can only convert them to P6 format.

Not that you have both versions installed you open your P6 file with Prime6 and in parallel start Prime5 and create a new document there. Now you can copy and paste the regions of your P6 file into the P5 file. Unfortunately you can't copy all regions at once but must do it one by one and arrange them in the P5 file accordingly.

Its your decision if it wouldn't be faster to install P5 additionally to P6 and recreate the worksheet in P5 from scratch.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

You can copy multiple equations (in Prime 6) and paste them in a Prime 5 document (at least, that's how it was between Prime 4 and 3.1). BUT.... you must be prepared for a crash every now and then.

I agree, it's faster to recreate the sheet in Prime 5.

Success!
Luc

@LucMeekes wrote:

You can copy multiple equations (in Prime 6) and paste them in a Prime 5 document (at least, that's how it was between Prime 4 and 3.1).

Exactly that never worked for me when trying to "convert" a P5  file into a P4 one - the result always was an error message and as the reason why t´it was failing the message simply said "PrimeObject".

I remember that once you wrote that it helps to put a couple of regions inside an area, collapse the area and copy it to the other sheet.  Again I tried and it never worked - all I ended up with in the new sheet was a picture of a long horizontal line.

I just tried it to copy from P6 to P5.

Collapsed region: does not work - same effect as described above

multiple regions: The first time it worked OK!!! But the next thre times I tried it with the same sheets I got the error message again.

The history (over the past 10 years) shows that PTC promises more than it actually delivers.

I should not expect that, because Prime 4 to 5 is such a small step, a Prime 6 is due out soon.

And about PTC's intentions: one can only guess.

If you are a licensed Prime user you should be able to access more information on plans, timelines etc.

Top Tags