cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Optimisation of a variable

Dan888
1-Newbie

Optimisation of a variable

I have a Mathcad document along the lines of:

r:=10mm

---------

Many equations using r and other variables.

---------

stress = 50 MPa

Is there a way to find the value of r that gives the minimum stress without totally re-writing the document?

I know this can be done relatively easily for discrete values of r by using a vector but I'd ideally like to do the equivalent of an Excel goal seek.

9 REPLIES 9
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Dan888)

Turn your calculations into functions dependent on r, so that at the end you have a function stress(r):=.....

Then use "minimize".

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

If you have stress as a function of r, then Minimize will do what you want.

Raiko
16-Pearl

Hi Dan

try this one. Some simple equations that spit out a minimized value.

Hope it helps

Raiko

Dan888
1-Newbie

Trouble is my worksheet is long and complex and is not written using functions but straight definitions e.g. B:=2r rather than B(r):=2r

It doesn't look like it is possible to do what I want without rewriting every equation as a function of r because Minimize only works with functions.

Might be easier to set up the same equations in Excel and use solver as there are a few input variables apart from r that I'd like to change.

Dan888
1-Newbie

Is there a way to do it along these lines:

Given

r:=10

stress:=r^2

5<r<20

stress<1

Minerr(stress,r)=(1 over 10)

The stress<1 line is an attempt to force it to find the minimum value of stress even though it has to be higher than 1 to satisfy the constraints.

Why does the above not give (5 over 25)?

Dan888
1-Newbie

Here's another attempt:

Given

stress:=1000

stress=r^2 (boolean equals this time)

5<r<20

stress<1

Minerr(stress,r)=(1.962 over 1.71)

If I right click Minerr and change to one of the other non-linear methods it gives (8.16 over 3.5) which is a bit closer to the correct answer of (25 over 5)

Why does it give these answers?

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Dan Rose wrote:

Here's another attempt:

Given

stress:=1000

stress=r^2 (boolean equals this time)

5<r<20

stress<1

Minerr(stress,r)=(1.962 over 1.71)

If I right click Minerr and change to one of the other non-linear methods it gives (8.16 over 3.5) which is a bit closer to the correct answer of (25 over 5)

Why does it give these answers?

You have three constarints now and Mathcad tries to minimize the overal errors in all three. You may weight a constraint by multiplying it with a factor higher than 1. Using (1-stress)*1000>0 will multiply the error made in this constraint by thousend, so the answer will consider this constraint more than the others.

Results in numeric approximations may highly depend on the guess values used and also may change significantly if the algorithm used is changed. This seems to be what you experience.

Usually Levenberg-Marquardt is a good choice, but in case of your solve block Conjugate Gradients seem to be more appropriate. Try it, use stress<30 and you get the (5; 25) answer you expected.

Use stress<50 and you get a different, but still valid solution.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Dan Rose wrote:

Is there a way to do it along these lines:

Given

stress:=r^2

5<r<20

stress<1

Minerr(stress,r)=(1 over 10)

The stress<1 line is an attempt to force it to find the minimum value of stress even though it has to be higher than 1 to satisfy the constraints.

Why does the above not give (5 over 25)?

Here 10 and 100 are initial values for r and stress. Mathcad's numerics now play with r and stress independently and tries to find a good fit for the two constraints 5<r<20 and stress<10. The initial value is good from the very start and is not changed at all and stress is decreased until the constraints is fulfilled. Mathcad does not distinguish between < and <= here - its a numerical approx anyway.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

If you have a range for r (that it must stay inside), replace the single value r:=10 with a vector of values that covers the range. It may be necessary to "vectorize" a few of you equations, but the sheet should compute and result in a vector of stresses--one for each value of the radius vector. Plot stress vector against r vector, or develop a curve fit between the vectors, to find the minimum.

Top Tags