cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Optimization Problem

sm�ller-2
11-Garnet

Optimization Problem

Hallo community,

actually i have an optimization problem and want to aks if that is possible in mathcad.

For example if i have 8 input variables what i need to optimize and a few boundarys and a long calculation. 

Is that possible within mathcad?

What good other program is there available? I have complicated formulas which are moore easy do write within mathcad because of the good mathematic notation and hard in other software like excel. But mathcad can only calculate on 1 cpu

The other problem is that i even dont know initial parameters for my variables to get a correct result so i need to exclude nonsense range of variables. I think i should be able to use a cpu cluster so i should be able to use more than 1 cpu fopr optimization problems

Thankx Stefan

14 REPLIES 14

Hi

actually i have an optimization problem and want to aks if that is possible in mathcad.

For example if i have 8 input variables what i need to optimize and a few boundarys and a long calculation. 

Is that possible within mathcad?

Yes. 

What good other program is there available? I have complicated formulas which are moore easy do write within mathcad because of the good mathematic notation and hard in other software like excel. But mathcad can only calculate on 1 cpu

The free program Scilab can easily work the problem out.

The other problem is that i even dont know initial parameters for my variables to get a correct result so i need to exclude nonsense range of variables. I think i should be able to use a cpu cluster so i should be able to use more than 1 cpu fopr optimization problems

Let the program work the cores not you.

Cheers

Terry

Try at first in Mathcad!

I hope we can help.

I have solved a lot of optimization problem in the field of mechanics.

Some of its is here

2^5 Problems for STEM Education 

See please chapters with optimization problems

Study 8. Live kinematic schemes Or Arm of Hella

Study 20. Journey from home to school on the Fermat route Or The second optical property of hyperbola. 

Study 21. Optimization of potential energy Or Curves of the second order in statistics 

Study 25. Hybrid calculations on the computer Or One more about a cone

Study 26. Funicular Polygon in Static, Kinematics and Dynamics Or Isaac Newton vs Joseph Louis Lagrange

You can free download Mathcad-sheets from this site.

But if your problem is very... you must create own program with own algorithm...

can i run mathcad 15 optimization problems with like 20 cpus in a cluster?

I think optimization problems with like 8 to 10 input variables do need multiple cpus run

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:sm�ller-2)

Mathcad 15 (and before) is a 32-bit application that runs on a single core.

Success!

Luc

Ok thank you. Scilab also runs only on 1 core.

I think optimization with 10 variables on 1 core last ages.

Im able to use a cpu cluster so i need run optimization on multiple cpus but i dont know what software to use

It should be on GNU free license

Hi,

Why not try Mathcad  on your problem anyway.  You will then see how it performs.

Perhaps outline the problem and let the community help.

Terry

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I.e. the community is becoming curious.

Luc.

Hi,

Here is a Mathcad 15 sheet that maximises a difficult function of 2 values in very small time period.

We need to see this large problem with eight values.

Cheers

Hallo,

thank you for the file. Is it possible to define a certain step width for the variables which have to be changed in order to speed up calculation?

I do not know initial values for the variables in order to fulfill all side conditions. Is this a problem?

Thank you br Stefan

Hi,

Is it possible to define a certain step width for the variables which have to be changed in order to speed up calculation?

No.  The solver is a "black box".  It decides this.  You do not define a step width.

I do not know initial values for the variables in order to fulfill all side conditions. Is this a problem?

Yes, you must define a start value for all the variables.

Why don't you try Mathcad on your problem so we can help.

Terry

>The solver is a "black box".

Not quite. We can use in Mathcad 15 the trace function.

See please animations here
Study 13 of the book "2^5 problems for STEM Education" 

Thank you for the help,

i realized one optimization problem via MS Excel Solver. I used GPR nonlinear.

I came to a solution. But i dont know if it is a global solution.

The problem is i dont know the initial variables in order to fulfill all side conditions.

But Excel Solver came to a solution.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Check out this, to see if it might help with your problem: 

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Minimizing-a-Function-using-Simulated-Annealing/m-p/445213 

Success!

Luc

Your Link doesn't work because somehow the characters "%A0" were attached at the end of the underlying link address.

It should be

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Minimizing-a-Function-using-Simulated-Annealing/m-p/445213

Richard had also posted another one here

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Minimizing-a-Function-using-Simulated-Annealing-2/m-p/439802

Videos seems not to work.

EDIT: To make videos work I had to allow scripts from "brightcove.net".

Top Tags