cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

PDSOLVE - Heat transfer - multilayer - numeric

wzelik
11-Garnet

PDSOLVE - Heat transfer - multilayer - numeric

Hi!

Have you got any idea how to solve enclosed problem in Mathcad.
I have tried in Maple 14 without success.

wzel

10 REPLIES 10
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:wzelik)

Hi!

Have you got any idea how to solve enclosed problem in Mathcad.
I have tried in Maple 14 without success.

Which section?

Why don't you upload a worksheet showing how far you have got.

Mike

Hmm...

>>>Why don't you upload a worksheet showing how far you have got.

I don;t have it. I have not started yet.
I try to recognize if this problem is solvable.

>>>Which section?
Through whole wall, for example three different properties layer.

Assumptions are simple:

- equation: diff(T(x,t),t)=a*diff(T(x,t),x,x)

- three material: (thermal conductivity (1,2,3), dinsity (1,2,3), heat capacity (1,2,3):

- initial condition T(x,0)=298 [K]

- boundary condition: T(0,t)=1473 [K], -lambda*dT/dx=h*((T(L,t)-T0)+emissivity*SBoltzman*(T(L,t)^2-T0^4),

I tried according to Mapleprimes suggestion using thermal diffisivity (lamba/cp*rho) as a piecewise function but got wrong results.

Problem lie for probably in interior boundary condition.
We have heat transfer betwen layer -lambda1*dT(x1,t)/dx=lambda2*dT(x2,t).

Last sugesstion from MaplePrimes was:

"Ah, I think I see the problem. It is not dT/dx that is continuous across the boundary, but the heat flux lambda*dT/dx. I think one way to tackle this is by a piecewise transformation of the position variable x, so that a displacement by dx in region j corresponds to a change of dX = dx/lambda in the new variable X. Then dT/dX is continuous across the boundary."

---
Generally speaking, I don;t have idea how to set up pdsolve!

wzel

Wieslaw Zelik wrote:

Last sugesstion from MaplePrimes was:

"Ah, I think I see the problem. It is not dT/dx that is continuous across the boundary, but the heat flux lambda*dT/dx.

wzel

Mathcad has the same problem - see attached. To avoid this (in Mathcad) you need to discretise the spatial variable explicitly, then use an ODE solver.

- boundary condition: T(0,t)=1473 [K], -lambda*dT/dx=h*((T(L,t)-T0)+emissivity*SBoltzman*(T(L,t)^2-T0^4),

You seem to have used 1200K as the BC in your Maple calculation (which I've kept in the attached) - easy to do when not using units! Also, you had the opposite sign for the radiative term in your Maple calculation (which I've changed in the attached).

Alan

Thank you very much for reproducing Maple dokument in Mathcad.
...but problem is that final results (temperature distribution) are wrong.

I enclosed, solution from FEA (Comsol Multiphisics 4.0) for the same datas for t=72000

wzel

Attached is an approximate approach using ODE's (this approach can be improved - I've been somewhat cavalier, especially at the boundaries and interfaces!). The results don't agree quantitatively with the Comsol results, but they have the right qualitative sort of shape. I'll leave you to get it completely right!!

I've not written any comments, so you'll have to read it carefully and use the help files.

Alan

Thank you very much!

Your workseet looks promissing.
I will be study cerfully.

wzel

Ok! Couldn't resist it - here's a much more accurate version!

Alan

I'm impressed!
Thank you once again for your help!

wzelik

You can do -allways- a sort of check with any engineering solution. If errors fails under the problem stability, you have a solution, if not have a problem.

Regards. Alvaro.

Thank you for your help!

Alan workseets is interesting I will be check.

wzel

Top Tags