cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

PTC Mathcad Forum: So why am I RichMesseder and not Rich Messeder

Ninetrees
1-Newbie

...despite my repeated efforts to change my display name? And why, when I visit the dialog to change my display name, the current one is not displayed?

~R~

19 REPLIES 19
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Ninetrees)

Don't worry Richard.

I am know as MikeArmstrong..... For the last few months I was know as MIke Armstrong?????

Mike

Actually I am still known as MIke Armstrong.........

I must have tried changing this twenty times.

Have a look at the attached image. Might explain why my profile name cannot be changed.

Mike

Message was edited by: MikeArmstrong

...so this leads to some speculation...if we elect to have our names displayed, they will display correctly...but the display name is trained to suck out embedded spaces, because it expects a display name to be just a nickname...so...I followed PTC's advice initially, but I'll now enable showing my name and change my display name...

~R~

...well, that seems to have had the immediate effect of turning my display name into Rich Messeder, but the **** that you all see in my post is because I used the verb "stuck" without the "t", and the forum is apparently used to a different class of authors.

For those of you w email notification from this forum, you may get to see my new display name --- that is actually NOT being displayed ! 😉

~R~

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

but I'll now enable showing my name and change my display name...

This will confuse things - I opted to not show my name, which should in turn show my desired display name, it isn't. It is actually showing my user name which is spelt wrong.

Mike

Hey, I didn't design it or build it...I just do my best to figure out how to use it...;-)

~R~

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I have now selected to show my display name and corrected the spelling and it worked. I then logged out and back in again and guess what????

MY NAME IS SPELT WRONG AGAIN

QUESTION FOR DAN I THINK!!!!!!

Mike

Rich, I see you as "Ninetrees"

See attached screenshot.

Everyone else will see you as "Ninetrees," but when you view your own posts logged in, you see Rich Messeder. You can't hide from yourself

-Dan

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:DanMarotta)

Oh great! So I can't be sure what other people see by looking at what I see.

What do you see me as?

I see you as Richard Jackon because you chose to display your name in your profile

Select 'No' instead and you become TheBogeyman

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

OK. I was being dumb!

dunce.jpg

Well, that might be partly my fault, then...oh, not the original problem AS STATED, which you might not have read in full...

I changed my display name from "Rich Messeder" - with the space that doesn't show in the forum!!!!!! - and selected SHOW in my profile next to my last name. I thought that that might override the "Ninetrees" display name. But when I just check the profile, HIDE was selected, so I selected SHOW and SAVE.

When I refreshed the main forum page, it changed from

Welcome, Ninetrees (Log out)

to

Welcome, Rich Messeder (Log out)

So that may change what you all see, too, which is what I intended to test earlier today...

...and Richard, I see you as Richard Jackson, but when forum emails arrive, they display another name, presumably the display name...

All of this doesn't answer the original question, of course...it just proves a point.

...so who wants to tell me what I appear as in the forum now?

and for those of you getting forum email notification, what name appears on the from: field for me?

~R~

We see both. The email source is "Ninetrees", but the body of the email shows:

reply from Rich Messeder in Other Subjects - View the full discussion

TTFN

Thanks, Eden. So that's a wrap. The only question left hanging is why the display name gets all the spaces s[t]ucked out of it...I guess that is just and unadvertsed "feature" of the forum. Makes sense, in a way, but only if it is clearly documented, which it ain't, else we'd not have so many folks confused...

and speaking of undocumented features...where is the avatar size limit specified? I see a 50MB - yep, you read that right - a 50MB file size limit, but I can't even imagine the color depth on a 100x100 pixel image that is 50MB big 😉

...and, yes, I just broke one of my own rules and hijacked my own thread 😉

~R~

Your profile photos, though can be 320*240*24 BPP, but you can upload any size you want, and the server will scale and crop according. The photo I uploaded into my profile started life as a 3506*2336*24BPP image.

TTFN

Rich, you're right, the Display Name doesn't like spaces. In part because it's appended to the url used to navigate to your profile. If you want to indicate a space in your Display Name, use CAPS or an underscore, example RichMesseder or Rich_Messeder.

Regarding the avatar, are you saying 50MB file size is too small? Too big?

It was sorta tongue-in-cheek, Dan. Let's do the math: a 320x240 pixel image @ 24bpp (bmp format) is 230KB (and gifs will be 1/3 of that). Given that there is NO indication of what the resultant size of the avatar is supposed to be, I find a remark on the avatar page that limits an uploaded image to 50GB a bit of a reach. A 50MB image is actually ~ 200,000 times to big for the target avatar image...of course, math is not my strong suite, so maybe I am way off in my off-the-cuff calculations Aside from the cheekiness, my real point is that the forum Help and/or avatar page should give some clue as to how the final image will be scaled...

~R~

MIke, just kidding

Mike, update your name on your Account Management page. It may take up to 24 hours for the updates to take.

Have a look at my attached image. This is the message I see.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

MIke, just kidding

Mike, update your name on your Account Management page. It may take up to 24 hours for the updates to take.

Have a look at my attached image. This is the message I see.

Cheers DaN,

Hopefully that has sorted it.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Dan,

It worked!!!!!!!!! I am Mike again.

Cheers

Top Tags