cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 now available

amcgough
12-Amethyst

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 now available

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 is now availble for download - either as a CD Image or as a web installer. Active Global Support customers can download the CD image from this location:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/auth/it/esd/product.jsp?prodFamily=MCD

You can follow the attached instructions to update your license file.

If you don't have a current license and want to try out PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 free for 30 days and then with a reduced functionality set for as long as you like, you can download Express by clicking this link:

http://free-dl.ptc.com/install/pim_installmgr_mathcad.exe

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.0 includes new features sych as Templates, Math Formatting, Math in Text, the Global Definiiton operator, Custom Function support and many more upgrades. We're always inetrested in feedback so please do upgrade your existing installation or try the product for free and let us know what you think!

Andy McGough

Product Manager - Mathcad.

122 REPLIES 122

There is now a Prime 3.1 scheduled in Q4 2014 before Prime 4.0 in PTC Product Calendar.

MC+Prime+calendar.jpg

Maybe the footnote in the calendar gives an indication about the progress of replacing MC15.

MC+Prime+calendar+footnotes.jpg

What does it matter ???
We dont believe that PTC will do something positive in the next years, like a real converter to MC15 ...
Anyway we are waiting for MP8 or MP9 ...

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:syaacoby)

shemy yaacoby wrote:

What does it matter ???
We dont believe that PTC will do something positive in the next years, like a real converter to MC15 ...
Anyway we are waiting for MP8 or MP9 ...

It does matter because it indicates that Prime 4.0 will not be released, as scheduled this year. It also seems to indicate that PTC might be chaining their approach.

MAGNUS SALOMONSSON wrote:

Maybe the footnote in the calendar gives an indication about the progress of replacing MC15.

MC+Prime+calendar+footnotes.jpg

It does seem to indicate that Prime 4.0 will certainly not be a replacement for M15.

I hope MC15 will live forever !!!!!!!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

It can live as long as you want . The issue might be compatibly with later versions of Windows.

You are right - We all pray that MC15 will be compatibe with later versions of Windows.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

shemy yaacoby wrote:

You are right - We all pray that MC15 will be compatibe with later versions of Windows.

I am confident that Prime will be at a level of M15 before M15 is no longer compatible with Windows.

MAGNUS SALOMONSSON wrote:

There is now a Prime 3.1 scheduled in Q4 2014 before Prime 4.0 in PTC Product Calendar.

MC Prime calendar.jpg

Very interesting.

Please see the thread created by Vladimir.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/248389#248389

I agree with most posts that PRIME will not functionally replace MC15 until at least v5. FWIW - I think PTC is focusing more on CREO development as that seems to be more lucrative to them. We (my organization) have placed all conversions to PRIME on hold. We will continue with MC15 as long as MS provides technical support/updates for W7 (and likely W8). After that, if the next generation of OS are not compatible with MC15, we may opt to continue MC15 by using legacy OS via virtual PCs (e.g. VMWare Workstation) to extend life. Failing that, unless MatLab (or somebody else) steps up with something more user friendly, we revert back to EXCEL (yikes).

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:BESchmitt)

This is exactly what we intend to do.

I hope someone on PTC is reading these posts ...

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

shemy yaacoby wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

shemy yaacoby wrote:

I think they are being read, but being heard and being listened to are not the same thing.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

I think they are being read, but being heard and being listened to are not the same thing.

I'm afraid you might be correct.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Excel are you sure? 🙂

I think I would rather start again with a new piece of software than convert to Excel.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

BRUCE SCHMITT wrote:

(or somebody else) steps up with something more user friendly, we revert back to EXCEL (yikes).

There must be a better option than that........

Mike Armstrong wrote:

BRUCE SCHMITT wrote:

(or somebody else) steps up with something more user friendly, we revert back to EXCEL (yikes).

There must be a better option than that........

At least there should be. Bruce added that "(yikes)" himself but I often wonder how many people would describe Excel as being user friendly, even when it comes to technical calculations. Obviously they were using spreadsheets for far too long and now they really think thats the way it should be done, not realising how unnatural that approach is. In former times we could point them to Mathcad with clear conscience, but nowadays thats sure not an option, so what to do!?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

In former times we could point them to Mathcad with clear conscience, but nowadays thats sure not an option, so what to do!?

Werner you are quite right. What options are there going to be if Prime 4.0 / Prime 5.0 does not have the functionality of M15.

I cannot see M15 being compatible with future versions of Windows, so a difficult choice beckons.

This is correct. EXCEL is not very user freindly for what we do, but it was what we had 20+ yrs ago. I think I started using Mathcad v4 around 1988 at a different company, and we converted (from EXCEL/LOTUS) to Mathcad 6 where I am at now in the ealry 90's ... and loved it since (but not PRIME). Mathcad up through v15 was/is a powerful tool for how we perform and present engineering analyses (structural, chemical, nuclear, etc). We use Mathcad to publish these calcs internally, makes it easy for techincal review, archiving and retreiving the analyses, passing on calcs to the next generation of engineers taking over, and presenting summaries without having to interface with too many software (we would not use Mathcad to publish documents going external).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Well hopefully Prime will get to a point were it can achieve the same.

BRUCE SCHMITT wrote:

(we would not use Mathcad to publish documents going external).

Why if you don't mind me asking. We publish all our documents produced in Mathcad.

I was thinking of that after I wrote that. I would qualify that as "not using Mathcad for Journal type articales." Too many formatting issues. Most of our Mathcad use is for internal use. We will on occasion create documents for external uclients. Many times though we are contracted to transmitt formal documents in WORD or PDF (or even WP). Many time these contain more than just Mathcad.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

We tend to do the same. The documents are converted to PDF and issued top clients in that format.

MATHCAD PRIME 3.0

What is the deal with the serious loss of features when it comes to plotting simple XY plots?

1. Why can I not change the font size? I can barely read the values

2. Why can I not add labels to the plot, like what the plot is all about?

3. Why can I not add a grid?

need I go on?

who decided this software was ready for "Prime" time in the first place???

Any help on simple plot formatting...etc would help!!!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3750778)

Way back in time, when MC11 was the latest thing, we asked for improvements to 2D plots. We got a few (such as two y-axes), but not many. Then with Prime 1.0 they took them all away again, along with most of the plotting features we had in MC11. Ridiculous, but true.

I'm sorry, but my sensors indicate that you are screaming into a black hole.

Rick Mason wrote:

I'm sorry, but my sensors indicate that you are screaming into a black hole.

Interesting - my sensors indicate vacuum, no mass, no gravity.

Damn... I knew I shouldn't have built my sensors using those XY plots...

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:RickMason)

MATHCAD PRIME is only a "ticket" that allow you to buy MC15 that is the real-main software to work with ,,,

So, It does not matter if you buy PRIME 3 , PRIME 4 or even PRIME 8 ...

Nothing to wait ... It is very sad...

Compare the ribbon user interface lloks like in MATLAB R2014 and Mathcad Prime 3.0:

MATLAB+R2014+program+window.png

Mathcad+Prime+3.0+F000+program+window.png

Top Tags