cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

PTC Mathcad Prime: Past, Present, Future

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

PTC Mathcad Prime: Past, Present, Future

Here is a link to blog from PTC regarding Prime 3.1, details of Prime 4.0 and 5.0.

http://blogs.ptc.com/2014/09/15/ptc-mathcad-prime-past-present-future/

They outline the features which are to included in Prime 4.0 and the features under consideration for Prime 5.0.

20 REPLIES 20

And that's the most important points:

"... Currently, we’re hard at work on some aspects of and finalizing the plans for our PTC Mathcad Prime 4.0 release and beginning to map out the subsequent Prime 5.0 release. But before those are released, we’ll be launching PTC Mathcad Prime 3.1.

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.1, due early in calendar 2015, is an intermediate release. While we are developing some of the larger components of Prime 4.0 we are releasing capabilities that allow PTC Creo users to better access and leverage the benefits of PTC Mathcad in their existing workflow, which the PTC Creo community has been asking about for some time. There are features in PTC Creo that enable users to calculate parameters but PTC Mathcad is specifically designed to do that job. PTC Creo users want to take advantage of the benefits of PTC Mathcad to calculate and, just as importantly, document the reasoning behind those calculations within the PTC Creo framework. PTC Mathcad Prime 3.1 will introduce a powerful new integration that will allow PTC Creo users access to the features of PTC Mathcad that they’ve been asking for directly within PTC Creo, embedded within their existing workflow. We talked about that integration in a previous blog and will discuss more aspects of it in future entries.

PTC Mathcad Prime 3.1 will also include a completely rewritten API. The API is used to integrate and automate PTC Mathcad with other tools and in many different company processes. The API in PTC Mathcad Prime 3.1 has been re-written from scratch to be more efficient and easier to use. It also adds important new features like the ability to get and set data in different units and an event handler. We’re developing an extensive SDK with documentation and a number of worked examples to make designing your own integrations as easy as possible...

... So what’s next? We’re in the final stages of prioritization planning for PTC Mathcad 4.0 and our development team is actively working on the larger projects. We’ve been using our customer feedback to identify those functionality areas that are most important to address. The prioritization process candidates we are selecting from include worksheet protection, Area protection, Area locking, copy/paste multiple regions to Word (or other external applications), the ability to save a worksheet as a Word document, the ability to save a worksheet in PDF format, plot improvements such as title, grid lines and 2nd Y-axis, ability to wrap long equations, and general PTC Mathcad areas of usability improvements. As well as this, we’re in early discussions on how to reintroduce calculation server functionality that would serve the same use cases as it did back in PTC Mathcad 13.0 while utilizing the power of modern computing infrastructure.

After the prioritization phase for PTC Mathcad Prime 4.0 is complete we’ll tackle PTC Mathcad Prime 5.0; and though it’s in the early stages of that release one item that is on top of the list is Input Controls. This is a large project that we’ve been discussing specifications for at length. As we continue to populate our enhancement database the picture of customer prioritized items will become more apparent but we already have a good idea of what people are asking for. Text styles, hyperlinks, program debugging, redefinition warnings and scripted components are popular items and will be considered side by side with other areas of functionality that we have feedback on and will continue to receive as we talk to customers in the field ...".

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

Thanks Vladimir, what are your thoughts on it?

I think that the new features in MP version appear too long a time, until the full functionality of MC15 will be years.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

I'm afraid you could be right. If Prime 3.1 is due out early 2015, when will Prime 5 be out???

Hi Mike;

I have concerning details about PTC Mathcad software engineering department. Rumor has it that they visited the CERN LHC in Switzerland. They were at the facility to discuss candidate features for the upcoming versions of Mathcad Prime. Unfortunately one of them fiddled with some software settings on a remote terminal and a serious accident occurred at the facility. It would seem that all the PTC Mathcad software engineers were bombarded with superluminal Neutrinos. They are all OK thank god and back working at PTC. However they have been infected and are now working at speeds faster than the speed of light. PTC are monitoring the situation but the situation is serious because the Mathcad programmers are now working at such tremendous speed they appear to have ripped the very fabric of time and space. The consequence of which is that each version Mathcad Prime goes further back in time. Even though they know the problem exists they cannot allay the atomic affects on the human genome. It seems that Mathcad Prime 5 is now destined to have Mathcad 13 or below capability. Thankfully unlike the Ebola virus this cell degradation and time warp effect is not contagious and doesn't seem to have spread to their other programming teams. But there are some stories about that the CREO team may have been also exposed to high intensity Mathcad programing team as a result of software interoperability.

As a very experienced Mathcad user I wanted to garner your thoughts on how the user forum could help the PTC Mathcad programming team? I was going to suggest that maybe you and Werner could use Mathcad Prime 3 to come up with an answer but then I released that MC Prime 3 it is so buggy and slow that that approach would be futile (I calculated that it would give a result but take 10^10000000000 years of CPU time). Then I thought that maybe you could produce a possible solution by plotting the variables and then intuiting an answer but then I remembered that MC Prime plots are also broken. I think we all are in deep sh... what do you think?

A very concerned maintenance paying user.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:MarkBuckton)

I know you have vented your frustration in the past and it seems, like others, that you are not confident that PTC will bring Prime to a level that matches M15 (in the near future)

I am, like you, very concerned with the lack of development of Prime and worried that Mathcad will not work on future versions of Windows. Thank god PTC are releasing M15.040.

In all seriousness, what can we do except vent our frustration here?

Mark Buckton wrote:

As a very experienced Mathcad user I wanted to garner your thoughts on how the user forum could help the PTC Mathcad programming team?

There are a number of ways this could be achieved and I have asked Ryan about the possibility of setting up a group with experienced users and PTC staff - still waiting on a response. The group would merely aid with development of Prime and not be an opportunity to rip into the product. After all, this is the future of Mathcad and I am more than willing to help if PTC allow it.

I was going to suggest that maybe you and Werner could use Mathcad Prime 3 to come up with an answer but then I released that MC Prime 3 it is so buggy and slow that that approach would be futile (I calculated that it would give a result but take 10^10000000000 years of CPU time). Then I thought that maybe you could produce a possible solution by plotting the variables and then intuiting an answer but then I remembered that MC Prime plots are also broken. I think we all are in deep sh... what do you think?

A very concerned maintenance paying user.

Mike;

I have tried to get specific information from PTC by emailing on numerous occasions, not a rant but constructive comment but they never reply to me. So I thought well if they think their users are a joke then the joke is on them. Maybe my joke is somewhat lame but so then is PTC.

Thanks for starting this thread maybe if enough of us complain they may get the message and hire some experienced mathematicians and programmers and not subcontract the programming out to India. Not that I have anything against Indians (they are very talented mathematicians) but what this show one is they have no idea about product development because all great software products have in-house development teams and SMART goals.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:MarkBuckton)

Mark Buckton wrote:

Mike;

Thanks for starting this thread maybe if enough of us complain they may get the message and hire some experienced mathematicians and programmers and not subcontract the programming out to India. Not that I have anything against Indians (they are very talented mathematicians) but what this show one is they have no idea about product development because all great software products have in-house development teams and SMART goals.

Lets hope something comes of it, we can only try.

I have asked Ryan about the possibility of setting up a group with experienced users

Such a group already exists. It's called the Technical Committee. Unfortunately, it's not very active. I think it's not set up in the right way, and does not have the right tools available.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

I have asked Ryan about the possibility of setting up a group with experienced users

Such a group already exists. It's called the Technical Committee. Unfortunately, it's not very active. I think it's not set up in the right way, and does not have the right tools available.

Cheers Richard. Maybe this is the way forward if users and PTC are willing to communicate to help develop a better product. Ryan Kelley what do you think?

The TC is controlled by PTC User, so I don't believe it's much of a way forward. It's not going to change from what it is now. It meets very rarely, they insist that one of the meetings is face to face, it has no virtual meeting room or private forum....

Back in the good old days of Mathsoft (sigh ) there was a secret, invite only, group called the Power Users. The group had it's own forum on the Collaboratory that was invisible to mere mortal users. You would recognize many of the names: me, Tom, Stuart, Dixie, Philip, Robert. There were other names you probably wouldn't recognize because other than the Power Users group they rarely posted to the Collaboratory. The thing about the Power Users group is that there really was a lot of interaction between the users and the Mathsoft staff (including Allen Razdow himself). They didn't always do what we wanted (e.g. they implemented SUC, despite our warnings), but they did at least listen, and a lot of ideas were generated that did get into the product (e.g. affine units such as temperature).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Richard Jackson wrote:

The TC is controlled by PTC User, so I don't believe it's much of a way forward. It's not going to change from what it is now. It meets very rarely, they insist that one of the meetings is face to face, it has no virtual meeting room or private forum....

Back in the good old days of Mathsoft (sigh ) there was a secret, invite only, group called the Power Users. The group had it's own forum on the Collaboratory that was invisible to mere mortal users. You would recognize many of the names: me, Tom, Stuart, Dixie, Philip, Robert. There were other names you probably wouldn't recognize because other than the Power Users group they rarely posted to the Collaboratory. The thing about the Power Users group is that there really was a lot of interaction between the users and the Mathsoft staff (including Allen Razdow himself). They didn't always do what we wanted (e.g. they implemented SUC, despite our warnings), but they did at least listen, and a lot of ideas were generated that did get into the product (e.g. affine units such as temperature).

That is exactly what I was suggesting, but of course, of would require interaction from certain members of the PTC team.

Mark Buckton wrote:

Hi Mike;

I have concerning details about PTC Mathcad software engineering department. Rumor has it that they visited the CERN LHC in Switzerland. They were at the facility to discuss candidate features for the upcoming versions of Mathcad Prime. Unfortunately one of them fiddled with some software settings on a remote terminal and a serious accident occurred at the facility. It would seem that all the PTC Mathcad software engineers were bombarded with superluminal Neutrinos. They are all OK thank god and back working at PTC. However they have been infected and are now working at speeds faster than the speed of light. PTC are monitoring the situation but the situation is serious because the Mathcad programmers are now working at such tremendous speed they appear to have ripped the very fabric of time and space. The consequence of which is that each version Mathcad Prime goes further back in time. Even though they know the problem exists they cannot allay the atomic affects on the human genome. It seems that Mathcad Prime 5 is now destined to have Mathcad 13 or below capability. Thankfully unlike the Ebola virus this cell degradation and time warp effect is not contagious and doesn't seem to have spread to their other programming teams. But there are some stories about that the CREO team may have been also exposed to high intensity Mathcad programing team as a result of software interoperability.

As long as it experiences some kind of spacetime discontinuity and skips over M12, resulting in an asymptotic approach to the start of M11.2, we might be OK.

M11.2 with local function capability and couple of other tweaks would be pretty good - there were a few backdoor hacks into the M11 symbolic processor that proved quite useful and the dreaded static type checking didn't exist, which made life a lot easier for dealing with many classes of problem (getting rid of static type checking is the best thing I've seen in Prime).

As a very experienced Mathcad user I wanted to garner your thoughts on how the user forum could help the PTC Mathcad programming team?

It is traditional for Mathcad developers to ignore experienced users.

One glance at Prime was sufficient for me to suspect that there was no development strategy in place for implementing new capability (such as automatic paragraph/equation/figure numbering or improved string handling and data structure support (eg, multidimensional arrays)). The very page-oriented implementation also leads me to suspect that the original vision of an "engineering whiteboard" was completely abandoned - very surprising when the workplace is becoming more screen-oriented - and that too many "programmers" and not enough "users" are involved in requirement/design decisions.

Stuart

Just read the blog referenced at the start of this thread. Sadly, it confirms what I suspected.

Stuart

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:StuartBruff)

StuartBruff wrote:

The very page-oriented implementation also leads me to suspect that the original vision of an "engineering whiteboard" was completely abandoned - very surprising when the workplace is becoming more screen-oriented - and that too many "programmers" and not enough "users" are involved in requirement/design decisions.

Stuart

Good point. Fully agree.

I have been using Mathcad since version 1.0. When it was independent it was a great company. I had many friends there, all have since left. From the day PTC took it over it was a nightmare to work with. I suspect I have been responsible for the sale of as many Mathcad licenses as anyone at PTC. It was required for engineering students at my University until it became too expensive. Many of my former students got their companies to buy it when they went to work. I have used Mathcad documents in court. I have been away from Mathcad for a couple years and am just getting back too it. I had hoped PTC had wised up, apparently not. I see PTC is doing away with many of the reasons (Mathcad features - whiteboard in particular) I started using Mathcad in the first place. Pretty soon no one except the developers will want to use it. Really too bad, it was a good piece of software.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Joeboy)

Thanks for the input Dixie. I have not been using it as long as you or other users on here, but I have had to live through the pre and post PTC era. Unfortunately, Prime has not lived up to the bill and won't for the foreseeable future.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Joeboy)

Dixie Griffin wrote:

I have been using Mathcad since version 1.0. ... I see PTC is doing away with many of the reasons (Mathcad features - whiteboard in particular) I started using Mathcad in the first place. Pretty soon no one except the developers will want to use it. Really too bad, it was a good piece of software.

Yes, it was. To be fair to PTC, I think the rot started with M12 and static type checking, but PTC lost a golden opportunity to have a truly great product when they developed Prime.

I would love to know what the real reasons for M12 going the xml route were and why static type checking was introduced, and continued, against all the expressed concerns of the experienced users on the Mathcad Collaboratory. I can understand why xml but not the apparent rush to implement it and its priority over improving the interface and expanding core functionality.

Stuart

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

I would love to know what the real reasons for M12 going the xml route were

I think they really wanted to be able to claim that the content of the files would always be accessible, even if Mathcad failed to exist. That's something that they felt would play well with engineering management. And a possible buyer for the company: see below.

and why static type checking was introduced, and continued, against all the expressed concerns of the experienced users on the Mathcad Collaboratory.

That's a good question. We warned them over and over that it could have unintended consequences. I guess they wanted it so much they swept the warnings under the carpet.

I can understand why xml but not the apparent rush to implement it and its priority over improving the interface and expanding core functionality.

I suspect the decision had already been made to sell the company, so the priority was anything that might make the product look better to a potential buyer, rather than functionality that users wanted, but a potential buyer would not appreciate.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Richard Jackson wrote:

and why static type checking was introduced, and continued, against all the expressed concerns of the experienced users on the Mathcad Collaboratory.

That's a good question. We warned them over and over that it could have unintended consequences. I guess they wanted it so much they swept the warnings under the carpet.

I have to confess that I suspected that it was done at the behest of a potential buyer or major customer. Static type checking flew so much in the face of the nature of Mathcad's ease of use and flexibility, that I find it difficult to believe that it was something that was that important to Mathsoft without the prescence of a significant external driver.

I can understand why xml but not the apparent rush to implement it and its priority over improving the interface and expanding core functionality.

I suspect the decision had already been made to sell the company, so the priority was anything that might make the product look better to a potential buyer, rather than functionality that users wanted, but a potential buyer would not appreciate.

I wouldn't be surprised to find it was the same potential buyer as thought mandatory SUC was a good idea. 😐

Stuart

Top Tags