cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

PTC has ruined MathCad!

ptc-3861106
1-Newbie

PTC has ruined MathCad!

Hi - I have been using MathCad since ~2002. Over the years, I have grown to love the program and have resulted in literally hundreds of sales of the product now that I am a professor. I (used to) require my students to purchase it for my classes. I continued that practice this semester. Our copies of MathCad 15 ran out in the book store, so I just told them to get the latest and greatest. We ordered 100 licenses of the completely garbage Prime 2.0.

I am sorry, but the fact that I can't use over a decade of prior work is a complete joke. I have many licenses of MathCad, but apparently not the right one to even convert my perfectly good files to the garbage Prime 2.0.

I have tried to find someone to help me, but there is no useful help that I have found.

Unless I get help today, I am going to have my bookstore return the 100 copies of this garbage program and never allow my students to use it in my classes.

Seriously, you have taken THE best engineering calculation software and ruined it.

Sincerely, Bill

43 REPLIES 43

As a follow up to this thread. I challenge anyone to navigate how to effectively get help on this, or any other issue. When you try to contact someone at PTC, you will find approximately 40 pages of obfuscation to confuse you into not bothering them. If you stick with it, you will ultimately get a phone number to a customer service center that then asks for your service account number, which of course you probably don't have.

I have instructed my students via email to not purchase this program ever! I will no longer require MathCad for my classes. I have talked to the other professors who use MathCad in my department. They agree and will do the same.

Is there any legitimate alternative to MathCad <= 15.0 functionality and presentation? If anyone knows of another program, please let me know. Otherwise, I guess I will keep using my older versions until someone comes up with a program to fill the gap that MathCad left.

I am completely baffled that a company would do this. Amazing...

Bill,

When your students purchase a copy of Mathcad Prime 2.0, they also get a copy of Mathcad 15. The same license works for both versions. If they don't see Mathcad 15 directly, they can download the trial version from http://www.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/forms/index.jsp?&im_dbkey=41685&icg_dbkey=482 and apply their license to it.

You can convert your Mathcad 15 worksheets to Mathcad Prime 2.0 or if you or your students prefer, you can continue to work in Mathcad 15, which is fully supported by PTC. In fact, we are releasing a maintenance upgrade to Mathcad 15 later this year.

You can go directly to http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenter.htm for support.

We have a site for education; http://www.ptc.com/company/community/schools/mathcad.htm

with links to free tutorials for Mathcad.

I hope this helps,

Mona

So, how exactly do they apply the same license file? What is the name and where would the file reside? I am trying to go through that exact process myself and have had no luck.

Bill - I worked with your bookstore to get the licenses for your students, and can help you out with Prime 2 and Mathcad 15. Feel free to email me at -.

Ned

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:mzeftel)

Mona,

Why PTC forced us to purchase a copy of Mathcad V15.0 that is really good software

with the garbage Mathcad Prime 2.0.

There is any way to save money and disappointment

and buy only V15.0 or upgrade (from v14.0)?

I'm really worried because of the conversion of my old Mathcad files-Aboute some handrets

I will never use Mathcad Prime 2.0 3.0 4.0 ... if they will have no really converter !

I will stay with Mathcad v15.0 forever!

I dont understand why PTC is not return back to Mathcad V15.0 and

just really try to improved it to V16 V17 V18... in small steps...

Sorry for that

Shemy.

shemy yaacoby wrote:

Mona,

Why PTC forced us to purchase a copy of Mathcad V15.0 that is really good software

with the garbage Mathcad Prime 2.0.

There is any way to save money and disappointment

and buy only V15.0 or upgrade (from v14.0)?

I'm really worried because of the conversion of my old Mathcad files-Aboute some handrets

I will never use Mathcad Prime 2.0 3.0 4.0 ... if they will have no really converter !

I will stay with Mathcad v15.0 forever!

I dont understand why PTC is not return back to Mathcad V15.0 and

just really try to improved it to V16 V17 V18... in small steps...

Sorry for that

Shemy.

Sorry, Mathcad Prime it not only "garbage"

See the poll "What do you need at first of all in Mathcad 15(16) from Mathcad Prime?" http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1141

shemy yaacoby wrote:

Mona, ...

Sorry, Mona now is not in PTC .

I think she was a last person from Mathsoft in PTC.

I hope she will stay by PlanetPTC in new ststus.

ELSID
4-Participant
(To:ValeryOchkov)

ARRG!. You just confirmed it. I sent Mona an e-mail a few days back and it bounced as unkown user. I wish Mona the best ... she was a great asset, especially in the forums.

Valery Ochkov wrote:

Sorry, Mona now is not in PTC .

I think she was a last person from Mathsoft in PTC.

Not quite! I notice that Thomas Devaraj and John Sheehan have both made Mathcad contributions to this forum recently. These are both reliable ex-Mathsoft guys.

Alan

It looks like you have/had two issues. First, getting support via the web. Second, the inability to convert all of your prior version worksheets to Prime 2.

Regarding the first problem, I have always been pleased with the fast response from PTC, once I finally Log a problem. Yes, I do have to have my service number handy to do that, but that kind of information is routinely needed for software companies (e.g. Norton), so I have those numbers written down. I must say that the knowledge base, which I try first, hasn't been of much use, but it could be the kinds of problems I've had. After Logging in a problem, someone has called me, usually within an hour. This was happening before I started blogging on the PlantetPTC site, so it wasn't any special treatment.

Regarding the second problem, this is where PTC made a HUGE error...releasing a product with deficiencies as if it were an advance from a previous version (MC 15). They should have released it as a beta release, asking for user feedback during their development. Fortunately, I saw comments by users and even by a PTC employee that Prime 1 was not equivalent to MC 15, and that full capability wouldn't be present until Prime 3 or later. Therefore, I have stayed with MC 15 for now. Unfortunately for you, you didn't happen to see that warning because PTC continues to push Prime as if it were a competitive product.

I see that PTC is offering help to get your MC 15 program working, if you want it. It should allow your previous worksheets to work. I hope you get the help you need, because the life of Mathcad depends upon professors using it in their classroom.

I think the reason for Prime (so they say) is that they needed to make the program look like Microsoft Office programs so it would attract students. In the long run, that strategy may work, but it is not welcomed by us old timers who know the MC 15 and earlier interfaces well. For us, the focus on that effort has delayed progress on some math functionality needed and discussed elsewhere on this site.

There is hope that the functionality may eventually arrive. PTC is helping build the Mathcad 15 links to a physical properties database with flash and separator routines. If you happen to be a chemical engineer, that might be some incentive for staying with Mathcad 15. If not, it still is an indication that they are listening to their customers. Sometimes, though, things fall through the cracks and the customer has to really speak up, like you did. I hope things work out for you.

syaacoby
4-Participant
(To:ptc-3861106)

I fully agree with posts of loyal old customers about converting Mathcad 15 documents to Prime.

I have over some hundred valuable old Mathcad documents - a work of 20 years! - I must continue to edit them!

Seamless converting Mathcad V15 documents to Prime, includes all features, is entirely impossible !

The only thing I can do is to pray that Mathcad V15 will run on Windows 9,10,11 ...

... so I can continue to use my old Mathcad documents with Mathcad V15 in the future...

...Until someone will produce a real alternative to fill the gap PTC left...

Why PTC continues to abuse its old loyal customers ???

Shemy

shemy yaacoby wrote:

The only thing I can do is to pray that Mathcad V15 will run on Windows 9,10,11 ...

Shemy

I have on my Windows 8 PC Mathcad 15 and, sorry, Prime.

I start on this computer Windows NT and use Mathcad 11.

I know one person with Windows 8 PC. He start on this compuder DOS and use Mathcad 2.5.

No Problem!

syaacoby
4-Participant

Valery, Thanks you for your important reply.

More questions...

1) Mona wrote (here, in early post) that a new update to Mathcad V15 M010 will be soon, I am waiting to upgrate my V14, please, when?

2) Is a way to upgrade my Mathcad V14 license to V15 without PRIME , please a link to the store and cost.

3) If not, please a link to upgrade V14 to V15 + PRIME (That I do not really like or need!) - store and cost .

I pray Mathcad V15 will live forever ...

Thanks, Shemy

shemy yaacoby wrote:

Valery, Thanks you for your important reply.

More questions...

1) Mona wrote (here, in early post) that a new update to Mathcad V15 M010 will be soon, I am waiting to upgrate my V14, please, when?

2) Is a way to upgrade my Mathcad V14 license to V15 without PRIME , please a link to the store and cost.

3) If not, please a link to upgrade V14 to V15 + PRIME (That I do not really like or need!) - store and cost .

I pray Mathcad V15 will live forever ...

Thanks, Shemy

Sorry,

These questions to Jacov Kucan - now he is here a "Mona Zeftel"

2) Is a way to upgrade my Mathcad V14 license to V15 without PRIME

I came in Soviet era in one Soviet shop and wanted to buy needed me one thing. But this thing is sold only with other - an unnecessary thing to anyone. This was called a "gift set"

Soviet era and Soviet shops will live forever.. .

syaacoby
4-Participant

Valery,"gift set" is a good joke (but not better than PRIME itself...)

I have no energy to search contact to the new "Mona Zeftel" = Jacov Kucan.

If he is reading this forum...I hope he will answer my questions...

I am not sure that Mathcad Prime strange policy will live forever like ... Soviet shops.

Thanks, Shemy

shemy yaacoby wrote:

Valery,"gift set" is a good joke (but not better than PRIME itself...)

I have no energy to search contact to the new "Mona Zeftel" = Jacov Kucan.

If he is reading this forum...I hope he will answer my questions...

I am not sure that Mathcad Prime strange policy will live forever like ... Soviet shops.

Thanks, Shemy

The founder of PTC is one soviet person from Liningrad

Bill, I fully agree with you. I am an electrical engineer professor and I work professionally with Mathcad since about 1995/Mathcad 6. I joined all the years and I will keep on going, but never ever with Mathcad Prime - and none of my colleagues will. There are man-years of investigations in my worksheets - and ...

Mona, converting professional Mathcad 15 worksheets to Prime 2 is entirely impossible - its not a matter of preference. I use e.g. global definitions, DLLs, VBScriting, components and much more which is not implemented yet in Prime and - as I see it - will not be done soon - and when its done, it will hardly be compatible. Just look at the list PTC published to show the differences.

I know about having Mathcad 15 with my licenses, so that is not my problem, rather the still missing or buggy functionalities (e.g: storage limitations to 1GB, crashes every second time I leave it and much more). Developing the classical Mathcad series from actually being a good product to an excellent one - and by then by far dominating e.g. Mathematica or MatLab - would cost PTC less than 10% the effort making unnecessary Prime, which is a toy essentially on the level of year 2000 or before - at least for those things I use it - computing theoretical physics problems.

I have been using Mathcad since v6 myself and like the rest of you have grown quite a large library of Mathcad files that I reuse again and again.

My question is what warrants doubling of the price from MC14 (of which I bought 3 SU licenses) to Prime 2.0? I cannot find a single characteristic that made it two times better. All the comments I read damn Prime without exception (this thread being one). I missed v15 because I was happy with 14.

Recently I have left the academic environment and the (very big) company I work for doesn't have Mathcad Licenses, now I have to persuade people to buy it (probably floating) for me but I find it very difficult persuading even myself if it is worth my effort to persuade them.

Otfried,

The Excel component is in Mathcad Prime 2.0.

The global definition operators will be in Mathcad Prime 3.0.

The other features you are missing, userdlls, VBscripting, controls are coming soon thereafter.

I'm not sure why you are having so many crashing problems, as Mathcad Prime 2.0 is very stable. How large are your worksheets? Are you on an XP 32-bit computer? The 64-bit version on Win 7 has better performance with larger files.

I suggest that you contact technical support at http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad.htm and see if they can help you with your performance issues.

Best regards,

Mona

Mathcad Program Manager

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:mzeftel)

The Excel component is in Mathcad Prime 2.0.

The global definition operators will be in Mathcad Prime 3.0.

The other features you are missing, userdlls, VBscripting, controls are coming soon thereafter.

Mona,

Am I correct in interpreting this to mean that VBscripting will not be available in Prime 3.0?

Thank you,

Mark

rwells
4-Participant
(To:OtfriedGeorg)

I grew up on mathcad 2000 because I could afford it. My college only used Mathematica and Derive. I cant afford to attend but the university accross the street uses Wolfman mathematica and of course there is also Maple. I can use my fake ID to get into the computer lab and tinker around with any one of those software programs. It doesn't take long before I am making 3D plots, integrating, programing or defining matrices. Not much different with Excel ( I still have Excel 97) But I can easily use free library computers and make spreadsheets on the latest versions. The politics and economics that drive the industry to "upgrade" to different and non-compatible versions will always be with us. Relax . . .its just a stupid machine and all it knows are 1 and 0.

I'm an electronic circuit designer that has used mathcad for over 12 years. I would often look forward to the next release and encouraged my engineering associates to use mathcad in their design process. No more! I am dissappointed in two ways: (1) PTC removed access to an excellent Mathcad Resource site that had accumulated many years of completed mathcad files. In was a very useful site for learning from mathcad experts who up-loaded completed mathcad sheets on to the site. Now...Gone! The PTC Mathcad forum is a site for beginners to ask questions, but not what I need. I prefer a reservoir of completed mathcad sheets catagorized by discipline (elec engineering, mech engineering, etc). (2) I agree completely with previous replies that PRIME 1 and 2 is a step backwards. The Prime release is not seamlessly backward compartible with old files. This alone is reason to stop using Mathcad. Very disappointed.

Ruben,

We've replaced the old online Mathcad Resource Center with a new one. Many of the same worksheets are included, and we're adding new ones. If there's a particular one that you are missing, I can try and find and post it.

http://www.ptc.com/appserver/search/mathcad.jsp

Mona

If you look at something like http://www.mpassociates.gr/software/distrib/science/mathsoft/application_files.html andsearch for oneof the files e.g. vocfunct.mcd the search results seem to be areliable Zero Hits.

It looks like PTC has decided to take a Pol Pot view of anything pre version 15. I wouldhave though a filter by version would have been worthwhile.

Or am I missing something?

Mike

Mike,

That old site you are looking for was at www.mathsoft.com. We've moved worksheets to the PTC Engineering Resources at http://www.ptc.com/appserver/search/mathcad.jsp.

We are most concerned with adding worksheets to our current versions, since Mathcad 14 released in 2007, over 5 years ago.

If there are particular worksheets that you want, I can look for them.

Best regards,

Mona

Mona,

Oh so true. MC14 is over 5 years old - but I'll let you into a secret it still works. Books are still in on-line retailers for MC14.

If I'm cynical I would adopt the view that with each release PTC has a policy to expunge all old content in an attempt to force upgrade revenue.

Being brutally honest I can find only 1 book on Mathcad 15 + Prime 2 and it's in Russian.

If I'm gracious to PTC there are 2 logical reasons to expunge Mathcad 14 files. 1) There is no way for Mathcad 15 to read the old files. 2) It will prevent ambiguity as to which files can be run on which version.

Option 1 is not there as I have been given instructions on how to migrate files.

If you want to add content for current versions may I suggest you rework all those fantastic files offered by the community into the current version. If you don't then that sends a message to the community that 'really they dont count'.

In management there's the telescope theory. In this relationship you are a PTC employee / spokesperson. I am a user. I buy your software. You may like to feel close to the community. But form my end of the telescope PTC seem very distant and not necessarily caring about the community of users. (Please not thisis very different to me saying you don't care - I am not saying that!).

Kind regards,

Mike

Ruben,

I agree with the following completely:

ruben aguila wrote:

The PTC Mathcad forum is a site for beginners to ask questions, but not what I need. I prefer a reservoir of completed mathcad sheets catagorized by discipline (elec engineering, mech engineering, etc).

Therefore, I have submitted a number of full problem worksheets to the chemical engineering space. Also, I made a case for keeping the disciplines as a category when they were considering removing them. Other than blocking out all of the requests for help, PTC can't create that content on their own. Please join me in the solution. I will look forward to your similar contributions in the future.

Harvey

PTC has contacted me several times and has been extremely helpful with the issues that I have been having with regard to installation. I appreciate the effort that have put forth on this and have resolved all of my installation issues. Thanks.

With regard to Prime 2.0. - My students are giving it a shot. There are many things I can't imagine there was a reason to change. For example - to use a subscript in 15.0, you simply hit a period which is quick and painless. In Prime, to use a subscript you must hit CTRL_ That is about the equivalent of Microsoft changing CTRL C for copy. Why make a change like that?

In Prime, the programmers seem to like right clicking the mouse, then moving and clicking to the new selection. I am not a fan of that type of operation, so I recommended mouse gestures to them. They liked that suggestion.

In Prime, getting rid of QuickSheets is a major problem. MathCad is starting to recreate them, but those were critical to my learning of the original program.

I have decided that most of the changes are well intentioned to make it easier to use for the novice user and dinosaurs like me are just going to have to get used to the new methods in Prime, or move out of using it. I am going to develop my new stuff in the Prime platform and see if I can stand it. Right now I am struggling, but that is just my own history with MathCad standing in the way of progress. For a new user, most of my issues would not be an issue at all.

PTC has again impressed me with yet even more support and follow-up to this issue. They have offered more technical help and personal communication than I ever would have imagined. Thanks for the hard work and dedication to improving your product. You have given me confidence that Prime will become a premier product as your continue to develop it. Thanks, Bill

Top Tags