cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Page numbering

BESchmitt
2-Guest

Page numbering

Am I missing something, or are page numbers not able to be offset by the user in PRIME (e.g. start numbering at '4' instead of default '1')? I typically use Mathcad as a support to other reports and need to pre-number the pages when combinnig the report (e.g putting together multiple Adobe files that are pre-numbered).

Text editing needs to include the ability to use sub- and super- scripts.

Is there a plan to allow labeling of plots without resorting to manually inserting text-blocks?

I understand changing solution schemes and equation formulations ... but I need to be able to easily create quality reports and text editing and plotting are important aspects. Otherwise I could just use EXCEL ...

15 REPLIES 15

BRUCE SCHMITT wrote:

Am I missing something, or are page numbers not able to be offset by the user in PRIME

I fear you are not missing something.

Wish this and the other things you mentioned would be the only features missing, but ...

Prime simply is by far not where PTC marketing wants us to believe it is.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Currently on Prime 3.0 - how long is it going to take is the question?

Mike

Ok, another nit ... the key board 'Page up' and 'Page Down' does not function correctly. It is moving the cursor and if the cursor lands in a text region then the page up/down STOPS in the text region (at the text top or bottom of the text). I have to manually move the cursor into the work space to continue paging up/down.

How can you be at v3.0 and not have basic editing features debugged?

How can you be at v3.0 and not have basic editing features debugged?

I always considered it a typo, actually being v0.3.

Even worse if you are used to delete unused spaced between regions with del or backspace (I know, there is an option to do it for me in Prime now). Again you will eventually end inside a region and happily continue erasing expressions!

I'm sure that I am well behind the curve on these issues ... no manual scaling on plots. Awesome. How does PTC claim that PRIME has 'Advanced Plotting'. I do not like being so negative here, but this is just incompetence on their part.

A quick check of PRIME 1, 2 and 3 reveals no patches for 1.0, one patch for 2.0 (8 months after its release) and of course, no patches for 3.0 yet. I gather PTC has little incentive to patch bugs and incompetence and mearly require one to buy the next version, which may or may not contain fixes to real problems? Am I close here or have they been better than this?

Does PTC monitor and pickup these issues here, or only through the Tech Support 'open a case'.

This just gets better. Inadequate editing capabilities:

No 'select all'

No 'go to page'

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:BESchmitt)

Bruce,

I think you are just scratching the service.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Does PTC monitor and pickup these issues here, or only through the Tech Support 'open a case'.

In the past we have had staff members from PTC comment in the forum and a few of the collabs actively participate in beta testing where many of these issues have been raised. Unfortunately, Prime is developing a much slower rate than we all want and the issues raised do not seem to be getting addressed.

Mike

Thanks for the update. I did file a 'case' for these different issues (and some others), and identified that I was very dissppointed with the current staus of PRIME 3.0 (3 years removed from the original release). I did get a call back (I was suprised and appreciative) ... but no time committment to fix these basic editing glitches. I would recommend all users take the time to fill out case reports and not just rely on the forums.

The conclusion I got was to continue using MathCAD v15 and transition to PRIME as desired (read as waiting until PRIME has what v15 had). Fortunately I was upgrading from v13 and essentially picked uip v15 and a disfunctional PRIME (as opposed to moving from v15 tro RPIME). I needed a 64-bit compatible version and now have that. But, like MS OS, if the future is PRIME and they stop supporting v15, then ultimately I'll need to move one. But, I made clear that I have no intention of purchasing the next version of PRIME if it does not have everything v15 had (basic text and graphics editing), and these should really be included as patches not new versions.

tietjee
14-Alexandrite

I will not purchasing "maintenace" until I know the capabilites of Prime 4. Prime is no were close to the capabilities of MathCAD v15. In my opinion, the programers have no idea how the program is used. My example, 2D plots in Prime 3 are still not usable. I have pointed this out with each version of Prime. Plotting provides a good method for presentation to customer, but it also used to check data and results. They still do not get it.

PTC's marketing plan does not make sense. We are getting a product that is not usable. Our interns would like students that be used with their course. After graduation, they will recommend the product to their employers.

In any case we will have to wait until next year.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:tietjee)

Unfortunately David I do not think you will be satisfied then.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

But, like MS OS, if the future is PRIME and they stop supporting v15, then ultimately I'll need to move one. But, I made clear that I have no intention of purchasing the next version of PRIME if it does not have everything v15 had (basic text and graphics editing), and these should really be included as patches not new versions.

They are not really supporting M15. They have brought out patches for M15 but I only because they have had to keep M15 live because Prime is unable to convert independently and does not have all the features M15 has.

It is a shame how slow Prime is being developed.

Mike

BRUCE SCHMITT wrote:

I'm sure that I am well behind the curve on these issues ... no manual scaling on plots.

I think Prime 3 does have manual scaling on plots. You can change the minimum, interval and maximum values by placing the cursor over the appropriate numbers on the plot axis.

Harvey - yes, you're right ... the font scale made it difficult to recognize that highlighting the end points allowed them to be changed. Thanks.

Correct Harvey.

Mike

Top Tags