cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Page wide text block prints outside margins

SFatz
4-Participant

Page wide text block prints outside margins

I am using Mathcad 15.0.0.436.

I am also using an older file that was created in Mathcad 14 with minor modifications to some of the inputs.

The file printed fine before I upgraded to 15.

I have full page text blocks that wrap at the margin to create multiple lines of text.

When I print the file out, some of the text 'disappears' past the right hand margin.

I have tried changing margins, and changing printers, but to no avail. This also shows up likes this in the print preview screen.

I am not using a speciatl text font (Normal, Arial 10), so am clueless as to why this is happening.

I use this text technique a lot and it will be very burdensome to manually change every full-page text block so that it is not full page and also fits on the page.

Is this a bug, or is there a fix for this?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
SFatz
4-Participant
(To:SFatz)

Thanks for the reply Jean, but I believe that there is only one release of MathCAD 15.0.

I don't know if this was a reported bug, I searched but was unable to find anything about it.

Guest2
1-Newbie

Sure it's a bug, but I've learned that reporting bugs here or elsewhere does not have much effect.

I wonder why you see that effect only in MC15 and not in MC14. The described behaviour annoys me quite a long time and I still use Version 14. So I dont think its a special V15-Bug. The Problem ist the "occupy page width" option which should make the text-boxes a liitle bit smaller. You have to do this by hand and that really is cumbersome.

The effect does not show up evrytime but only when the letters come very close to the right margin. This can best be simulated by righjjustifying the text.

If I can manage to upload files there should be attached a sample MC14-sheet and the corresponding pdf "print".

Regards

Steven Fatzinger wrote:

I am using Mathcad 15.0.0.436.

I am also using an older file that was created in Mathcad 14 with minor modifications to some of the inputs.

The file printed fine before I upgraded to 15.

I have full page text blocks that wrap at the margin to create multiple lines of text.

When I print the file out, some of the text 'disappears' past the right hand margin.

I have tried changing margins, and changing printers, but to no avail. This also shows up likes this in the print preview screen.

I am not using a speciatl text font (Normal, Arial 10), so am clueless as to why this is happening.

I use this text technique a lot and it will be very burdensome to manually change every full-page text block so that it is not full page and also fits on the page.

Is this a bug, or is there a fix for this?

Thanks

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Guest2)

I don't know what's going on, but it doesn't look like it's intrinsic to version 15. I just printed your file using CutePDF, and I see no problems. As Philip suggests, I suspect it's printer dependent.

Richard Jackson wrote:

I don't know what's going on, but it doesn't look like it's intrinsic to version 15. I just printed your file using CutePDF, and I see no problems. As Philip suggests, I suspect it's printer dependent.

It seems that you are right, as so often! The attached pdf was made using pdffactory and showed the unwanted effect. I tried it now with CutePDF and with AdobePDF too and both showed no problems. With PDF-printers you have a choice, with real hardware possibly not. Workaround could be by printing a temporary PDF.

But then, even if its not an intrinsic Mathcad bug, a suitable workaround from PTC by adjusting the right margins of text boxes ever so slightly seems the preferable workaround.

Regards

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

Ariel is a horrible font for this sort of thing. Basically there are so many variants that often font substitution (Ariel = Helevtica = Swiss = etc.) means that the replacement text no longer fits within the allocated space (as controlled via the postscript command sent to the printer).

That is, the printer is told to expect the sub-line of text to fit within a certain region. The printer is then asked to create the bit map that represents the font, and then a clipped version is printed inside that box. Usually all fits just nice. But sometimes the spacing and sizing that the application used isn't the same as the printer used (it substiuted!). So you get bits clipped. People only notice if it is clipped.

I have seen this problem in a range of applications and it can vary from printer to printer.

I never went deep enough to fully resolve the problem, rather I simply switch font or size or whatever till if fitted.

Try delving ito your print setting and what font substitutions and embedding it allows.

Philip

SFatz
4-Participant
(To:PhilipOakley)

Philip,

It wasn't printer specific (necessarily). I tried multiple printers, including PrimoPDF, before posting. However, you comment about the font is plausible. For the good of all, can you tell us what font you typically use for the text in your worksheets and if this font is trouble free?

Guest2
1-Newbie

Steven Fatzinger wrote:

Philip,

It wasn't printer specific (necessarily). I tried multiple printers, including PrimoPDF, before posting. However, you comment about the font is plausible. For the good of all, can you tell us what font you typically use for the text in your worksheets and if this font is trouble free?

As stated in my reply to Richards post it seems he is right and it really is printer dependent.

Philip seems right concerning the problem with Arial showing up more than with a font with serifs. But usually this is seen (e.g. in a wordprocessor) only when you user a very small font (lets say 4 pt) because then the cumulative rounding errors add up to much.

From typographs you often hear the advice to use serif fonts (like Times New Roman) for the text body and a sana serif font (like Arial or Tahoma) for headings. But then thats up to you and possibly a matter of company guide lines.

I have included for Your information the 3 pdf's made by pdffactory, CutePDF (which is free Software) and AdobePDF.

Only the file made using pdffactory (unfortunately the pdf-printer I usually prefer) shows the error.

But I often see the effect using different (hardware) printer. Printing to a pdf and from there to the printer seems a possible way of achieving correct results.

One curiosity at last: You can see the error even in Mathcads own print preview. This preview is printer aware, so it changes when you change the disired printer. In case of the three pdf-printers used above the preview is flawless only when CutePDF was chosen. With Adobe the preview showed the error even though the real pdf did not!?

Regards

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Guest2)

Guest2 wrote:

One curiosity at last: You can see the error even in Mathcads own print preview. This preview is printer aware, so it changes when you change the disired printer. In case of the three pdf-printers used above the preview is flawless only when CutePDF was chosen. With Adobe the preview showed the error even though the real pdf did not!?

Well CutePDF may be a warkaround, but your observatrion that you can see it in Mathcad's print preview makes me think is is most likely a Mathcad bug.

This is an old thread but I'm still getting this problem with 15.0 - did anyone find a suitable work around?

I've found printing with Adobe pdf, print preview or to a real printer misses text off the right hand side. However, cutepdf wraps the text instead thus altering the formatting and not providing true wysiwyg.

I'm printing to A4 with margins set to 15 each side.

The text is the word "be" and it sits right up against the faint vertical line that defines the right hand margin. Like the opening post, I'm using "occupy page width".

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Dan888)

Dan Rose wrote:

This is an old thread but I'm still getting this problem with 15.0 - did anyone find a suitable work around?

Nothing but "Don't use 'occupy page width'". Or use it and make the text boxes a little bitt smaller manually afterwards.

Its sure annoying but nothing compared to working with Prime 😉

Top Tags