cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Parabola problem

jsievola
1-Newbie

Parabola problem

Hello,

I'm having a problem with defining parabola's function f(x) when a,b,c are unknown. I can solve a,b,c with given/find-procedure but I have no idea how could I make mathcad to give me the function included these now known a,b,c (something like: f(x) = 4x^2 +3x + 1)

I attached my work so far so maybe it's easier for you to understand what I meant above.

I would be very pleased if someone could help me out as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Joni

(btw I'm using mathcad 15)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Have a look at the attached.

Alan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:jsievola)

Joni Sievola wrote:

Hello,

I'm having a problem with defining parabola's function f(x) when a,b,c are unknown. I can solve a,b,c with given/find-procedure but I have no idea how could I make mathcad to give me the function included these now known a,b,c (something like: f(x) = 4x^2 +3x + 1)

I attached my work so far so maybe it's easier for you to understand what I meant above.

I would be very pleased if someone could help me out as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Joni

(btw I'm using mathcad 15)

You simply write the function down pretty much as you have it above!

f(x):=a*x^2+b*x+c

and that's that.

As you've used x as a variable already, if you want to plot it in 2D, then you'll have to plot it against a different variable (doesn't matter what as long as it's not x, y, a, b or c.

Stuart

collab - 15 03 10 Mathcad_parabola 01.JPG

Thanks for fast response mate!

But I'm still wondering what is the command for solving the function itself. I need the program to form me the function ( f(x)=something ) using now known a,b,c values.

It should give me it example in this way: f(x) = 4x^2 + 2x + 3

I hope you understand what I meant since english isn't my native lanquage:)

Do you mean something like this:

function.PNG

Alan

Yes that is exactly what I need! I would like the program to show me the function of this parabola but I 'm struggling with it.

Have a look at the attached.

Alan

Oh I got it to work! Thank you very much everybody! I just had to change the variable x to be something else and now the program gives me the function.

I guess I could say case closed:)

Top Tags