cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Parametric equation in matrix form

stimilsina
1-Newbie

Parametric equation in matrix form

Hi,

I am trying to solve a parametric equation in matrix form. I have to multiply and evaluate a number of matrices symbolically.

I have to calculate a force Nx which can be applied so that failure occurs according to certain criterion.

This means I need to solve the matrices and equations in parametric form and obtain the stress matrices in terms of the applied load Nx.

I am however not being able to solve the equations symbolically since I get errors like 'the value name must be the name of a function' or ' the array should be compatible'  or 'the variable is undefined, check the label is set correctly'. Please advice how I can proceed.

Thanks

mathcad.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You can set this up for a numeric solver.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Where to begin?

You define Nx as a range variable without units.  Then you define Ny and Nz as single-valued mass per inch.

The next line has N(Nx) then a Boolean equals followed by a vector (of a range variable and two scalars).  If you tried to declare that a function (with ":="), I suspect even Prime would complain.

I assume that you've define Mt above (not shown) because the Mbar definition is not complaining.

Then you have another Boolean equality of a matrix multiplication.

And finally ,you ask Mathcad (primarily a numeric solver) to do a symbolic solve and it can't figure out what you want.

Neither can I

Hi Fred,

Thank you for the reply. I have been trying a number of things and that's why I have mixed up the Boolean and function definitions.

I have included herein the outline of what I am trying to obtain.

mathcad1.JPG

mathcad2.JPG

It would be an easy solution if it was a numerical problem. The problem requires me to find the value of Nx based on the Tsi Hill Criterion mentioned in the screenshot I have attached.

Any help on how to achieve the desired result would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can set this up for a numeric solver.

Thank you Mr. Fred,

That was really helpful. I was able to solve the particular problem.

Thanks.

Top Tags