cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Parentheses in Results

ptc-4692696
1-Newbie

Parentheses in Results

I apologize for what is probably a simple question.

I am using Mathcad prime and in some of my caclulation results I am getting parenteses around the answer such as (1.113). I am sure there is a simple explanation for this but I cannot seem to find it in the help

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

9 REPLIES 9

Its always better to attach a worksheet to clarify what the question is.

Its nearly impossible to guess what your problem might be - best guess is that your result is not a scalar but a 1x1 matrix.

This is, among many other possibilities, the case if you use one of the "lookup" functions which will always return a vector.

But without anything to look at its hard to tell.

Sorry Werner,

I have attached the work sheet. I have also highlighted the areas of concern I have with red text

Thanks

Mike

I wasn't aware of this as I usually use Mathcad and not Prime.

It seems to be a setting PTC had chosen for Prime differently to Mathcad to clarify what number a unit belongs to. It shows up when the number is formatted using scientific (or engineering) format with a powers of ten in combination with a unit. Its a setting which you cannot change, I guess. Without the parenthesis you could believe that 10^7 has the unit W and 1.113 is unitless - most people won't care, I suppose.

parenthesis.png

Or

MW.png

power of ten & unit --> paranthesis

one or both of them missing --> no parenthesis

MW.png

Nice trick! 😉

Only works if the magnitude of the result of Q with varying parameters is the same.

Werner wrote:

Nice trick! 😉

Thanks, but not nice. 6 (Mega) is not nice number - the nice (fine) number is 7 - 7 days in week, 7 sounds in music, 7 colors in rainbow etc

See the picture

Werner.png

This is Excellent!!!

Thank you for the explanation.

Top Tags