cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Plot Issues with cosh(1/x)

jackclift
4-Participant

Plot Issues with cosh(1/x)

Hello,

Am trying to get a simple plot of cosh(1/x) working.  It will graph the negative region (x<0) but not the positive.  How do I fix that?

Regards

Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ah, so you are using Mthcad 15 (or below?)! Good decision!

And from your initial post I got the impression, that you ask how you could manage to just see the plot for x<0. The opposite is the case.

And you sure found a very strange bug here. When I scale down the plot region, sometimes I see the part for x>0, sometimes not. Sometimes I see both branches when I click inside the plot region but when I click outside, the right branch won't show up.

Bild1.png

Don't expect PTC to fix that bug.

As Luc already explained, you have more control over the plot if you don't use Mathcads quickplot feature but provide a range for x ( I usually use the variable name x. (note the dot after the x) for plotting so to keep x undefined.)

If you use a very small step width Mathcad choses a very high value for the upper ordinate. You may change the range for the ordinate by typing in more appropriate values (the circled numbers)

Bild2.png

But now I realize, the the bug still is shown. With the step width of 0.01 the right branch of the plot still is not shown - thats crazy!

Bild3.png

Changing the step width to a lower value (here 0.1) makes the right plot branch show up again:

Bild4.png

So I am sorry to say that it seems that you will have to live with that bug.

Either play around with the size of the plot region until you find a good sized region which shows both branches or use a range variable with a suitable stepwidth.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:jackclift)

What's the problem?

Show your effort....Attach the worksheet.

(You may have to zip it first. A serious bug in this forum often prevents from attaching a mathcad file. In Windows Explorer click with the right-mouse button on the mathcad file and select 'Send to' -> 'Compressed (zipped) folder'.

The resulting .zip file can be attached.)

Success!
Luc

You sure will have to explain what the problem is you experience and want to be fixed.

I assume you are using Prime. You have to be aware that on every axis you are able to change the first, second and last value to whatever you like (see the picture. Its rather hard to spot and to do, but, alas, plotting is something which is implemented in a ridicoulous unprofessional and insufficent way by PTC.

Bild.png

Using Werner's tip (I didn't realize you could adjust three. . .)

I get the following:

Capture.PNG

With log Y scale:

cosh-log.png

jackclift
4-Participant

Sorry all for the less than informative query.  Attached the file that I am trying to get working,  as discussed just shows the region x < 0.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Ah, the problem is that you don't get to see a plot for positive x.

If you define x as an appropriate  range, you will:

LM_20180124_cosh.png

Success!
Luc

Ah, so you are using Mthcad 15 (or below?)! Good decision!

And from your initial post I got the impression, that you ask how you could manage to just see the plot for x<0. The opposite is the case.

And you sure found a very strange bug here. When I scale down the plot region, sometimes I see the part for x>0, sometimes not. Sometimes I see both branches when I click inside the plot region but when I click outside, the right branch won't show up.

Bild1.png

Don't expect PTC to fix that bug.

As Luc already explained, you have more control over the plot if you don't use Mathcads quickplot feature but provide a range for x ( I usually use the variable name x. (note the dot after the x) for plotting so to keep x undefined.)

If you use a very small step width Mathcad choses a very high value for the upper ordinate. You may change the range for the ordinate by typing in more appropriate values (the circled numbers)

Bild2.png

But now I realize, the the bug still is shown. With the step width of 0.01 the right branch of the plot still is not shown - thats crazy!

Bild3.png

Changing the step width to a lower value (here 0.1) makes the right plot branch show up again:

Bild4.png

So I am sorry to say that it seems that you will have to live with that bug.

Either play around with the size of the plot region until you find a good sized region which shows both branches or use a range variable with a suitable stepwidth.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

That bug is (fortunately) not in Mathcad 11...

Top Tags