cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Plot out of symbolic calculation

Jip
2-Guest
2-Guest

Plot out of symbolic calculation

Hello Everyone, 

I am an electronics engineer who has just started with Mathcad v15. I work on a sheet which calculates total power dissipation in a power supply. I have many input variables which help me to get the desired information - total power dissipation (Ptot) and predicted efficiency (Eff). So far, the calculation sheet works well.

The struggle:

Now, I would like to vary some input parameters and see in a plot how total efficiency change. For example, I want a plot with Iout on the x-axis and Eff on the y-axis. I have already spent half a day by googling but could not come up with a solution. Could someone review the sheet and come with a proposal how to make a Eff vs Iout plot, please? I expect that I need to somehow turn my equation into a function (numerical vs symbolic engine).

PS: A tip what to search on the forum will do too.I am not lazy 🙂

Best Regards, Jiri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Something like the attached perhaps.

Alan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Something like the attached perhaps.

Alan

Alan, this is great! What is the name of the magic you did with "k"? I understand how it works but I would like to study it more.

Thank you for your help and efforts.

k is a range variable. You can find out about them in the help facilities.

Alan

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Jip)

The best way is to make sure that your Eff calculation is a function of Iout, then you can plot it.

Here's an example:

LM_20180803_Plot.png

Success!
Luc

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Unfortunately Mathcad does not offer a way to turn a worksheet into a function automatically (a long standing wish).

So what you have to do is to create the functions yourself.

Every calculation which uses one of the input variables you would like to change later has to be turned into a function dependent on those inputs.

Here is a simple example. Instead of a static calculation of just one value

B1.png

you turn the calculations into functions

B2.png

Jip
2-Guest
2-Guest
(To:Werner_E)

@Werner_E, @LucMeekes: I see... This is probably what I need to do. However, the resulting function is going to be super long because I want to play practically with all parameters.  

Jip
2-Guest
2-Guest
(To:Werner_E)

@Werner_E, @LucMeekes: I see... This is probably what I need to do. However, the resulting function is going to be super long because I want to play practically with all parameters.  

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

@Jip wrote:

Yes, thats the drawback when we are dealing with more complicated calculations.

Unfortunately other than using abbrevations for some functions there seems to be no other option.

Unless of course Alans solution using vectors for all calculations is sufficient.

Thats why many people have worksheets which can be turned into a function which could be used as such in a second worksheet on their wishlist.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

Or, as Luc suggests, using functions

Top Tags