cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Plotting Vectors

NormalVector
1-Newbie

Plotting Vectors

Hello guys,

It's been a little while since I've posted here but I've run into a problem. I'm pretty sure that this topic has been covered already but I couldn't find it in the recent posts.

I'm doing some fluid mechanics homework and I need to plot the vectors of velocity, convective acceleration and local acceleration on the same plot as a streamline function at a specific (x,y,t). I can't figure out how to plot vectors on an x-y plot and would appreciate some help or a link to the correct discussion. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Here is the file in MC11 format.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:NormalVector)

Maybe I'm having one of those days, but I can't work out exactly what values your trying to plot.

Mike

No worries, maybe I didn't explain well enough.

In the problem, I was given a fluid velocity field and was asked to solve for the convective and local acceleration at the point (x,y,t) = (2,4,1.5). Those are the values given at the bottom of the sheet. I also solved for the streamline passing through (2,4,1.5) and plotted it in the XY plot on my sheet along with the point (x,y) = (2,4) to make sure I had the right streamline.

The problem then asks me to, on the same plot as the streamline, plot the vectors of velocity, convective, local and total acceleration.

I've figured all the values out already and my problem is just this: can I plot a vector originating from a point on an XY plot?

Stephen Guimond wrote:

No worries, maybe I didn't explain well enough.

In the problem, I was given a fluid velocity field and was asked to solve for the convective and local acceleration at the point (x,y,t) = (2,4,1.5). Those are the values given at the bottom of the sheet. I also solved for the streamline passing through (2,4,1.5) and plotted it in the XY plot on my sheet along with the point (x,y) = (2,4) to make sure I had the right streamline.

The problem then asks me to, on the same plot as the streamline, plot the vectors of velocity, convective, local and total acceleration.

I've figured all the values out already and my problem is just this: can I plot a vector originating from a point on an XY plot?

Do you mean something like the attached? It's based on a routine from Tom Gutman (modified to use the in a different format).

If you want to do it in 3D, then there's a worksheet in the old Collaboratory at http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?74865,11 that could probably be modified without too much trouble to do what you want.

Stuart Bruff wrote:

If you want to do it in 3D, then there's a worksheet in the old Collaboratory at http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?74865,11 that could probably be modified without too much trouble to do what you want.

Ah. Found its mirror in this site http://communities.ptc.com/message/48744#48744

Stuart

Yes, something like that. I'll try my best to get that routine to work with my values.

Top Tags