cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Pressure below rigid footing

TikkaMasala
11-Garnet

Pressure below rigid footing

Hi,

I have struggled with this problem for a while now, so could someone help me with this.

The problem involves iterations between elastic and plastic pressure distribution below a rigid foundation.

When pressure exceeds plastic limit, the pressure at the elastig region should increase. The limiting step would be when the integral of pressure below the footing is the same as the loading on top of foundation or i.e. when the sum pressure below footing is same as footing load.

The calculation method which I try to get a match with is published here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:W9TL0BfeiiUJ:elearning.just.edu.jo/jjce/issues/paper.php%3Fp%3D37.pdf+new+elastoplastic+method+for+calculating+contract+pressure&hl=fi&gl=fi&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjxRUEhCCY8ZSL7UMUwhWtMzctefD5Nsk42h161klolaPhfFZlrSAYSLbi8boeqSfvRSWw7lGBepmqkRCWlCB2B0sbZ0MxXjw_...

The formula 27 in the article(, which is hidden by an advertisement in the link above) can be found from the attached calculation sheet.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

matti meili wrote:

Hi Fred,

I was hoping of modeling the soil using elasto-plastic model which is provided in the article.

I can't read your article. (My work computer blocks access to that site.)

I can solve your problem of finding where the integral sums to the load. (See attached.) But I don't think this is the right answer--the step change in stress doesn't make sense.

At any rate, you can express your stress as functions rather than tables of vectors and use them more effectively. Hopefully this will give you a place to start.

Addendum: By solving P1 as a function of the intersection point, you can get a solution that makes sense!

Good luck!

Fred

Message was edited by: Fred Kohlhepp

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Does the attached help?

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your help, but this wasnt' quite what I was looking for... the problem appears to be little bit trickier. I'm not sure if I have tried to solve the problem from correct angle.

I'm don't know if you want another approach, but this is beam on elastic foundation.

Hi Fred,

I was hoping of modeling the soil using elasto-plastic model which is provided in the article.

matti meili wrote:

Hi Fred,

I can't read your article. (My work computer blocks access to that site.)

I can solve your problem of finding where the integral sums to the load. (See attached.) But I don't think this is the right answer--the step change in stress doesn't make sense.

At any rate, you can express your stress as functions rather than tables of vectors and use them more effectively. Hopefully this will give you a place to start.

Addendum: By solving P1 as a function of the intersection point, you can get a solution that makes sense!

Good luck!

Fred

Message was edited by: Fred Kohlhepp

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

...I can't read your article. (My work computer blocks access to that site.)...

This article (without watermarks) is attached to the message.

Below I attached to the message specified article without a watermark. I've been using this software "PDF Watermark Remover": http://www.pdfwatermarkremover.com/ (it may be useful in the future).

Thank you Fred for your answers. This gives me definetely something to work with and the computations you provided at the bottom of the file makes sense. The distance of point from foudantion center line, where elastic behavior changes into plastic, match relatively well with the graph provided in the article in figure 6, but the pressure values doens't match with the figure. I need to take check this more carefully.

Thanks Vladimir for your tip regarding PDF Watermark Remover.

matti meili wrote:

...Thanks Vladimir for your tip regarding PDF Watermark Remover.

No problem.

Top Tags