cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Pretty, but bulky ribbon

Ninetrees
1-Newbie

Pretty, but bulky ribbon

I admit that I am jealous of desktop space, so when I see a ribbon and status line that takes up 28% of my vertical space, I'm not thrilled. Mayhap the ribbon can be minimized as I get used to the product.

I like the zoom control at the bottom, though I am used to seeing my Find & Replace at the top. Still, if we are to have a status bar at the bottom, I don't see why Find & Replace can't go there.

Rich
http://www.downeastengineering.com/
4 REPLIES 4

I'm 99% sure I posted here 30 mins ago saying I didn't like the Ribbon... and why I don't like it... but I can't find the post now???

Anyway - I just wanted to say that I LIKE these two options:
1. Right click the ribbon and there is a "minimise" function. Fantastic - althought it would be good if the Ribbon dropped down when you then click on one of the menu items.
2. Right click on a ribbon item and you can "add" to quick access toollbar. That's the tool bar next to the top left logo - along the top of the window.

It even gives you the option of switching between having the quick access at the top or just below the ribbon.

Both of these addition address 90% of my gripes. Well done.

Philip

D'oh!

It doesn't seem to remember those settings. I added items to the quick launch menu and they dissapeared when I exited and came back in!

Philip

We are fixing the problem right now of added items to the Quick Access Toolbar not being saved.

It just didn't make it into the Beta.

Mona

On 8/12/2009 9:55:22 PM, pleitch wrote:

>Anyway - I just wanted to say

>that I LIKE these two options:

>1. Right click the ribbon and

>there is a "minimise"

>function. Fantastic -

>althought it would be good if

>the Ribbon dropped down when

>you then click on one of the

>menu items.

The Ribbon in Prime mimicks some of the functionality of the one in Office 2007. So for instance CTRL+F1 will toggle the ribbon.

A useful feature of Office is that if the Ribbon is collapsed you can still access its entries by clicking once on the category and then selecting the required action. The Ribbon then collapses back. That's a must have in my opinion.

>2. Right click on a ribbon

>item and you can "add" to

>quick access toollbar. That's

>the tool bar next to the top

>left logo - along the top of

>the window.

In Office, pressing the Alt key will also display a shortcut number automatically assigned to each button on this quick access toolbar. I'd like to see the same functionality ultimately.

A really useful capability of a Ribbon interface (and partially implemented in Office) is automatic context-switching of the Ribbon: if I click on a table then I'd like the table part of the Ribbon to become active, same for plots, etc.

I'm ambivalent about the Ribbon in Mathcad because there certainly is a convenience to being able to drag a toolbar - say the programming toolbar - right next to a program I'm editing. The new scheme is going to require learning more shortcut keys (old dogs, new tricks, etc) or getting more mileage out my mouse.

In truth, I'm getting used to the Office Ribbon...

Xavier
Top Tags