cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Prime Tables need more Functionality

MBuck2
1-Newbie

Prime Tables need more Functionality

Tables in MC Prime are a great idea but in my view the PTC implementation doesn't go far enough. This program construct has limited functionality for presentation purposes, for example there is no facility to define what is meant by each variable in the table (the English, Russian etc.definition of each variable) and one should be able to insert a return so that the table can continue to the next line. What is needed in my view is a function which could convert the Table to a NOMENCLATURE in other words a variable legend which could be inserted at the beginning of the template. The other thing that is missing is a system to auto number each equation as is normal in scientific literature.

8 REPLIES 8

Mark Buckton wrote:

The other thing that is missing is a system to auto number each equation as is normal in scientific literature.

As in Maple?

02-Maple.png

PS

It is Maple solution this problem:

Three fishermen lay down to sleep, not having counted or divided their catch. In the night, one of them woke up, and (not quite trusting the others) decided to divide the pile of fish and take his share. But the number of fish wasn't visible by three. However, he found he could throw one fish away, then take exactly a third. This he did (noting, in the true spirit of fairness, that an even number of fish was left for his comrades) and went back to sleep. Later, the second and third fishermen woke in turn, and each went through the same process. The question is, what is the MINIMUM number of fish in the catch that fulfils these conditions?

Mark Buckton wrote:

Tables in MC Prime are a great idea but in my view the PTC implementation doesn't go far enough. This program construct has limited functionality for presentation purposes, for example there is no facility to define what is meant by each variable in the table (the English, Russian etc.definition of each variable) and one should be able to insert a return so that the table can continue to the next line. What is needed in my view is a function which could convert the Table to a NOMENCLATURE in other words a variable legend which could be inserted at the beginning of the template.

Sorry. But I do not understand.

Can you show it clearly, as I have, for example, showed my wish for a three-dimensional tables in Mathcad Prime: http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-2151

24913q1.gif

Something like the above, MC Prime should in my view be able to procedurally generate a NOMENCLATURE of the variables that are user defined within the table or better still parse the entire template. I think you would agree that to produce something like the above in MC Prime takes a lot of effort to align text variables, especially since you can no longer embed variables in text blocks (another annoying limitation of MC Prime). In my view incorporating something like the above in a template is both a quality assurance measure and helps others that may use your template understand it. It seems to me that MC Prime is already "aware" of all the defined variables and associated units within a template, especially those defined in tables. My thought is it should therefore be able to procedurally generate (obviously requiring some user input to describe each variable) a variable NOMENCLATURE. A convert TABLE to NOMENCLATURE would be a welcomed feature but a template wide solution would be even better.

Somethink we can do it with the Excel Component, but...

ExcelComp.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

As I have just stated above the Excel feature should be able to carry units, or make the new Prime feature match the capabilities of Excels table features.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:MBuck2)

I'm sorry Mark, a table like you have shown is not something I'm looking for with Prime. The table feature in Prime is improving and I would like them to head towards the tables that can be produced in Excel.

The formatting capability of Excel tables perfectly suits my needs and if Mathcad can replicate that along with making the feature unit dependant, I think they will have a winner.

Mike

Mike,

Well please explain (by way of example) how you would quickly generate a NOMENCLATURE for your worksheets. Your explanation of the MS excel approach is beyond me. Anyway why should PTC rely on Microsoft to provide fundamental document formatting functionality which should be integrated into MC Prime? PTC have already said that their aim is to make Mathcad as easy to use as MS Word well if that is their benchmark I can now see why MC Prime is harder to use and less flexible than MC 15. I have used MS Word and Excel for many years and I have to say that for me creating the content is by far the quickest part of the task what always takes the most time is formatting the document for printing or publication. In my view, MC Prime has a long way to go in that regard. If PTC believe Microsoft interoperability is the answer then at least PTC should give one the ability to save a Mathcad template as a word document maybe then one would achieve the "look" they want?

Mark

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:MBuck2)

Well please explain (by way of example) how you would quickly generate a NOMENCLATURE for your worksheets. Your explanation of the MS excel approach is beyond me.

I don't have time at the moment but will try and explain a little better later.

PTC have already said that their aim is to make Mathcad as easy to use as MS Word well if that is their benchmark I can now see why MC Prime is harder to use and less flexible than MC 15. I have used MS Word and Excel for many years and I have to say that for me creating the content is by far the quickest part of the task what always takes the most time is formatting the document for printing or publication. In my view, MC Prime has a long way to go in that regard. If PTC believe Microsoft interoperability is the answer then at least PTC should give one the ability to save a Mathcad template as a word document maybe then one would achieve the "look" they want?

I haven't heard that before, but if that's the case I'm a little worried. Mathcad should be more complex to use than a standard word processing software. I agree, M15 had the capability to save as a rtf file, and so should Prime.

Mike

Top Tags