cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Prime worksheet to pdf

jdesai-2
11-Garnet

Prime worksheet to pdf

Why does a 2 page Mathcad Prime worksheet create a 80 MB pdf document? I can get an entire book into 80 MB. Also when I zip it it shrinks down to 88 KB. What's going on here?

18 REPLIES 18

Hi,

I print to pdf using PDFCreator from Prime.  The files are small

http://www.pdfforge.org/

Cheers

I use the file/print.doPDFv7

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:jdesai-2)

It's not necessarily the type of PDF converter that produces a big file....

Do you have a company logo, or other graphics on the pages?

Luc

Yes I have logos and pics, but that should not affect the pdf size. what is going on with the zip? Looks like Prime is putting a lot of unwanted stuff in there

Look into the settings of your pdf-printer!

How are pics stored in the pdf - uncompressed or compressed? Which max resolution? etc.

Are you embedding all used fonts into the pdf? Doing so might blow up the file size but ensures that the file is displayed correctly even when the necessary fonts are not installed.

Play around with the settings of your pdf-printer as I don't thinks its Prime - Prime simply is printing. Its your pdf printer who interprets the print data and creates the pdf. But of xourse it may be that Prime tries to print pics at higher resolution (if the printer will accept it) than MC15. Its also possible that Prime renders some math regions as pictures - I don't  know. Anyway it may be beneficial to look how your pdf printer treats images.

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I suspect it might be your pdf writer and not mathcad.  I've been writing pdfs in 3.0, 3.1 and 4.0 and never had this problem.  (plenty of problems in 3.x with it shifting things around...)  I've got plenty of files 5-6 pages long with graphs and logos and pictures that are under 1Mb.    

Did you try xps instead?

jdesai-2
11-Garnet
(To:DJF)

it is not my pdf writer it is Mathcad Prime's pdf writer, and no I did not have this problem with MC 15

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I don't believe Prime has a pdf printer.  It uses whatever is on your computer.  For example, i can write using either Adobe or PDFCreator - which are not PTC products.  Both turn out reasonably sized files.  Others use Cutepdf I believe, it's free.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

@DJF wrote:

I don't believe Prime has a pdf printer.

Correct, Prime does not include pdf-export but I think nobody here claimed that Prime would support pdf.

What I suggested was that the OP checks the properties of the pdf-printer he is using (seems to be doPDF in a somewhat older version 7) for the way, pictures are treated. This can affect the size of the resulting file quite significant.

But I second Lucs suggestion to post the sheet in question if possible, so different people here can try their luck with the pdf-printer of their choice.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

That's right.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Can you share your Prime file, so we can try it out?

Luc

Sorry guys it is super, super secret P/A+MC/I  stuff.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Then try a different pdf writer. I use cutepdf, and have never had the problem you describe.

in order to download a free program from the internet we need to fill in a bunch of forms and get 500 signatures and approvals..in triplicate

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You should start filling in those forms.

See this comparison table: http://www.dopdf.com/compare# Note the line "Compress/Downsample text and graphics".

Prime will "Save as XPS,"

That opens in a different program, maybe print a pdf from that. . .

Do you have problem only with these worksheet or with all the Mathcad Prime files?

By the way, here is your top secret: the maximum normal stress, σ = P/A ± Mc/I .

Top Tags