cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Problem Static

malmeida2019
7-Bedrock

Problem Static

Good afternoon group friends, I am a beginner in Mathcad, and I am not able to finish a static problem, if you can help me, thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What did you expect? You have not defined x and y so you cannot expect a numeric result.

You may let Prime evaluate symbolically, though.

B.png

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Welcome to Mathcad.

Due to PTC's greed, since you are using Prime version 5, many of us cannot see your problem.  Consider posting a picture version as well.

ok

Follow the file in jpg

What did you expect? You have not defined x and y so you cannot expect a numeric result.

You may let Prime evaluate symbolically, though.

B.png

Werner, why the final answer did not show in "m", what I'm missing here. If you had to solve this problem through vectors would you do the same thing I did?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:malmeida2019)

That is due to your definition. You defined rp as rp:=[x y 0] m. This means that x and y, like 0 are just numbers, without units. I would be rp that contains x m, y m and 0 m.

If you're interested, you might try to find out what happens if you define rp as rp:=[x y 0] and then solve x and y.

Success!
Luc

Thanks LucMeekes, but I did not quite understand the answer, rp = [x y 0] m is different from rp = [xm ym 0m]. I used it the way it said and it did not work, could you please give a practical example.

Attached is Prime 4 file, readable with 5

Thank you Fred that's what I needed, clear and perfect explanation.

Sorry to nit-pick, but I think Fred has a sign error.

rgunwaldsen
14-Alexandrite
(To:rgunwaldsen)

Sorry, Prime 5 worksheet. PDF attached.

Thanks for pointing out my error!  (See the attached sheet for a long, devious correction and reason.)

But your solution also has an error:  cross products are sensitive to order; both your solve block and your check have the order reversed

Capture.PNG

should be [-0.114   0.2   0]

You're right, as usual, Fred. I need to go back to school!

I ALWAYS have to check. . .   Smiley Happy

Top Tags