cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Problem assigning Index

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst

Problem assigning Index

Hello,

I am trying to generate roots using Mathcad but I guess I am unable to define the index properly. Please help me as what can I do to solve. My version is Prime 5.0

Thanks,

Faisal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@fahmed-2 wrote:

I think I found a solution.

Vectorization as suggested above does the job as well and a bit more elegant, I guess.

Your program with "Match" and "trim" would throw an error if the function a(..) once returns a vector without a single value being 0 or less. You may use "try..catch" to cope with this or look at my suggestion below.

B.png

Worksheet attached.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

The problem is the equal sign after the definition of your function "a".

Delete it and it should work.

But now you get a unit mismatch because something with your function f is wrong.

You try to add unit-less (the first sine summand) and a summand which hast the unit Pa/m. This can't work.

B.png

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you for your reply. Yes, you are right the units of alpha should be per meter but still it does not work. I want my variable "a" to be defined such that it is a function of alpha, d, and x.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:fahmed-2)

There is no problem, as long as you follow up all advice given. See attachment.

(Or did I miss something?)

Success!
Luc

@fahmed-2 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Yes, you are right the units of alpha should be per meter but still it does not work. I want my variable "a" to be defined such that it is a function of alpha, d, and x.

Which indeed it is.

You did not attach your new file so we do not see where your new sheet fails and what the error message is.

Best guess is that you forgot to vectorize:

B.png

Hi Faisal,

You can use headers and footers on the page to insert the heading, name, and dates.

The relevant bits are found on the ribbon as Document tab, Headers and footers section.

This allows the document to expand and shrink as necessary.  Your document has 31 pages but uses only a few.

Cheers

Terry

@fahmed-2 wrote:

Vectorization as suggested above does the job as well and a bit more elegant, I guess.

Your program with "Match" and "trim" would throw an error if the function a(..) once returns a vector without a single value being 0 or less. You may use "try..catch" to cope with this or look at my suggestion below.

B.png

Worksheet attached.

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you very much for your help

Top Tags