cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Problem with Mathcad Solver Function

Aries18
8-Gravel

Problem with Mathcad Solver Function

Hi,

I have a case in below snapshot is an extract of pipeline end expansion Mathcad spreadsheet calculation for determining the cold anchor point location highlighted in yellow. However for certain combination of input data, the calculated cold end anchor point location does not give the correction solution using the solver function when there are more than one intersection points at the cold end of pipeline as shown in the graph beside. Please can you help with a solution where the solver function for calculation of the cold end anchor location will output only the intersection point closest to the pipeline end.

Mathcad Pipeline Expansion -Solver Function.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You simply have a poor initial guess for zt.  Make it 2L instead of 0.9L and it works just fine (The same problem occurs further down your worksheet.)

Alan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Aries18)

Please provide the worksheet.

It's generally hard, if not impossible to debug or investigate with only a picture.

Success!
Luc

Hi Luc,

Attached the mathcad sheet.

I have highlighted with green which need to solve.

Appreciate you input.

Cheers,

Aries

You simply have a poor initial guess for zt.  Make it 2L instead of 0.9L and it works just fine (The same problem occurs further down your worksheet.)

Alan

"I tried what you said and did not work, can you kindly send the file, and for your information, if you have not changed my numbers then the answer should not be what you mentioned, so the units thing must mess with the results!! Also I want to understand why the units are inconsistent? units between what exactly? Eq(w) has an area unit because (W) is squared."

This comment doesn't seem to fit here!  Are you sure you've got it in the right place?

Top Tags