cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Problem with Mathcad

ptc-5283885
1-Newbie

Problem with Mathcad

Hello,

i have get a new computer (MS Surface 2 Pro) with (Windows 8.1).

Now i cant install Mathcad 15. Everytime i get this message: "Error: PTC-Setup could no properly detect Host ID that is required.“.

Please help me - max

10 REPLIES 10

Did you manage to install it as a 30day trial?

In that case support should be able to send you a license file.

In any case I would suggest that you cantact PTC support.

The 30day trial doesnt work to.

How can i contact the support?

And what issue arise with trial version?

I get the same error in the trial-version.

l think there is a problem with the networkcard priority.

PTC-Setup cant get the right Host-ID.

Interesting... My Prime 3.0 takes about 3 minutes to open & close when I am on my company network; docked or wireless. When at home ... 20 seconds.

PTC Support stated something about network priority that my internal I.S. team hasn't figured out yet.

MC15 opens fine (so did Prime1 and Prime 2; but now removed)

Good luck!

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:nas0k)

Hmm, Prime IS very slow (and P2 was so, too, for me).

Just took the times (Prime3):

• after 5 sec I get the splashscreen
  • after 1 min 15 sec I see the emtpy Prime sheet
  • after 1 min 35 sec Prime accepts my input

After that I still notice heavy harddrive activity and Prime is sometimes choking.

Mathacd 15 accepts my input after 15 seconds. I won't call that Prime behaviour an improvement.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-5283885)

PTC's licensing is locked to the MAC address of the computer. This is a really bad idea, but they don't seem to have any inclination to change it. It's a bad idea because it's not an ID for your computer, it's an ID for a network adapter. If you have more than one network adapter (e.g. wired and wireless) then you have more than one MAC address. If you disable your network adapters (when you are travelling and not connected this is a good thing to do, because it saves power and prevents anyone from gaining access to your computer, which is easier than most people think) then you have no MAC address, and you can't start Mathcad. On a notebook PC, if you licensed Mathcad with a wired connection, and the wireless connection disabled, and then you go on the road and disable the wired connection and enable the wireless connection, you can't start Mathcad.

So, do you have the WiFi enabled on the tablet? If not, that is probably the problem.

Things went even worse with Prime.

During installation Mathcad choses (by an algorithm not transparent to me) a "primary" adapter and PTCs license server will send an appropriate license file.

When running the software MC15 checks ALL NICs and if the one the license is bound to is present (primary or not) it will run.

Prime will insist that the license file is for the primary NIC. This means problems if you have a wired NIC and WIFI adapter. Installing Mathcad with disabled WIFI and running it with enabled WIFI will run MC15 in any case but Prime will eventually fail if it decides that the WIFI is "primary". Changing the Windows ordering of the NICs using the appropriate registry hacks does not help. In the past we already had problems with machines running virtual machines and therefore using virtual NICS. As long as we don't really USE Prime but for playing around this is no harm but it will be a problem if we would be forced to use Prime (unless we decide to say bye to Mathcad which, looking at the "development" of Prime, is a very realistic scenario).

nas0k
7-Bedrock
(To:RichardJ)

Thank you, Richard. I am not total clear on your suggestion, so I'll pass this along to my I.S. folks.

I do believe the WiFi is disabled when I dock, but Mathcad is slow opening even when I use my laptop on my company's wireless network too.

And why Prime 3? P1 & P2 worked fine. I guess one of the many enhancements added to P3...

Top Tags