cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

RE: define the column and rows in a matrix

gbradley
1-Newbie

RE: define the column and rows in a matrix

Is there a way of defining the number of matrix rows and columns just by say setting up a function? i.e. if I want a 5x5 matrix I can just type 5 and 5 in two functions and the matrix will auto generate

34 REPLIES 34
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

Yes good point. In fact, you could use a number of the scripted components to allow the number of selections.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:VladimirN)

With a button you can control the creation of the matrix independently of the calculation of the worksheet. With textboxes you can't do that, so if the worksheet recalculated you would get a new blank matrix with everything you entered into the placeholders wiped out.

Edit: I see what you mean. You are not proposing to use the textboxes to actually create the matrix.

Interesting. Thanks!

is it possible to have table instead of matrix?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:gbradley)

Gareth Bradley wrote:

It appears that what I'm trying to achieve is not possible on mathcad. I'm trying to create the matrix of a given size (5x5) with blank placeholders. using variables to define the number of rows and columns. from the replys, yes i can create a matrix using ctrl+M but this is not what I'm trying to achieve.

I also do not want to infill the placeholders with any given numbers just create the matrix with blank placeholders created by variable

Mmaybe you could use an embedded Excel table and create the user input in there. The user would have to double click the component to activate, but that's not the end of the world.

You would also have conditional formatting of the cells within the component at your peril.

Top Tags