cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

ROOT function in Cable Rail Load Analysis

ptc-3154257
1-Newbie

ROOT function in Cable Rail Load Analysis

My "ROOT" operator appears to beCable+Rail01.xmcd+copy.jpg bombing out on this, I would appreciate anyone pointing out my error if you see it.

Thanks,

Chris

10 REPLIES 10

Upload the worksheet (use advanced editor - see upper right). Can't tell from the picture.

Alan

If all we see in your pic is all thats there, then the error is that you did not define a function q().

Otherwise you would have to provide more information.

You must supply either a range or an initial guess for Delta

We don't know if he has defined q() above, we don't know if he has defined a guess for Delta above, we don't know what the error message is, ...

Piet Mondrian and Mathcad:

Mond.png

Valera I congratulate from 65 years.

Thanks for

Valery Ochkov wrote:

See please http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/Carpet/carpet_eng.htm

Thanks but 65 is nothing.

1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128(?) is some one...

First Let me say I am humbled by my community, thank you all for such effort. I am attaching my worksheet as suggested and I have tried a guess for variable Delta, still q bombs red. I hope the attachment helps I look forward to your replies regardless.

Thanks again,

Chris

So I was right - we really saw your full worksheet in the pic.

Are you aware that "root(q(x,y,z), x)" will try to find a solution for the equations q(x,y,z)=0 ? The values for y and z must be given/assigned to thos variables and if used in this 2-parameter form root requires you to provide a guess value for x, too. This means you would have to assign x a value, preferrably near the expected solution.

But most important you will have to tell Mathcad WHICH function q you would like to be solved. Thats what I had already written in my post above - you have to define the function q(), whatever it should be. It was not clear from the pic if you just showed a portion of your worksheet or the whole one.

So what function you are trying to get the points of zero from?

The error message is pretty clear, I think "This variable is undefined", meaning that Mathcad likes to know what q() should be.

Top Tags