cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Range variables problem

yeet
1-Newbie

Range variables problem

Hi everyone,

I am trying to do some calculations using Mathcad 14 but I have a problem where variable of a function can't be assigned to a range of variables.

I am attaching the sheet, it would be appreciated if one could point the error.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:yeet)

Yigit Turgut wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am trying to do some calculations using Mathcad 14 but I have a problem where variable of a function can't be assigned to a range of variables.

Thanks

Yigit,

The reason for the problem is that when you make assignments using range variables as indices, then all range variables must appear on the left hand side of the assignment. The error message in this case arises because you don't use f on the left hand side.
I'm going to assume that you really want to sum over f in the right-hand expression, in which case the most obvious method is to use the range variable summation operator (available through the calculus toolbar). See attached.

Stuart

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Yigit Turgut wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks

Yigit,

The reason for the problem is that when you make assignments using range variables as indices, then all range variables must appear on the left hand side of the assignment. The error message in this case arises because you don't use f on the left hand side.
I'm going to assume that you really want to sum over f in the right-hand expression, in which case the most obvious method is to use the range variable summation operator (available through the calculus toolbar). See attached.

Stuart

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:StuartBruff)

Or he could just use your vec function to create a vector instead of using a range variable.

Mike

Thanks for the reply that seems to work for that far but I have a following problem where an index of an array can not be assigned as a matrix, for detail please see the attached file.

yeet
1-Newbie

Sorry for the description, the problem is that the expression tries to take square root of the matrix which cholesky decomposition seem to be helpful.

Top Tags